The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

When studying via Open Uni; should I be worried about some modules becoming obsolete?

When looking through the modules, some say that 2023/24 will be the last time the module will exist...

Im not entirely sure what that means. I can only assume it means certain modules must get updated every couple years etc....

But then that begs the question, do I have to be worried about my degree/certain modules becoming obsolete?
I'm studying with OU as well in 2023/24 and every module has a review date where the uni either decide to continue it ir make it obselete. It shouldn't affect your overall degree but I have heard a couple cases where the OU has gotten rid of entire pathways leaving students with no option but to take the BA/BSc Open degree. The chances of this happening is slim though so I wouldn't worry too much. Hope this helps. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Ashleylaw
But then that begs the question, do I have to be worried about my degree/certain modules becoming obsolete?

Probably not. Very few fields move quickly enough for that to be a concern. Core skills and concepts tend to be easily transferrable.

Original post by Anonymous
I have heard a couple cases where the OU has gotten rid of entire pathways leaving students with no option but to take the BA/BSc Open degree

Provided you register for an actual degree (rather than just completing modules with the intention of linking them later), the regulations oblige them to offer a "teach-out" arrangement allowing you to complete the original qualification (provided you continue to study at 60+ credits/year and don't fail anything).

Quick Reply

Latest