The Student Room Group

Needs some time to himself

Been seeing this guy for a few months and it was going great. Never clicked so instantly with someone and been completely myself. He said the same.

However, today he's just pretty much ended it cos he needs some time to himself. He said it's 100% nothing to do with me, and that he really likes me. He's never got along with someone so well, and loved that I got a long with all his friends and family. However he just has some tiny doubts that he can't shake.

He said he didn't want to end things but didn't think it was fair to me and that he just needs some time to himself. He did warn me he was a massive over thinker, but I am too.

I don't know what to do because we both clearly care for each other a lot, and I really don't want it to be over.

Do I let him have his space for a bit and then message him in a couple of weeks to see if he wants to reassess, or just leave him to it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve had this happen before but I’m also an over thinker. The absolute best thing to do is just to leave him be, don’t message and let him come to you. Clearly there’s a reason or something that’s triggered it - he’ll either come back and try to discuss with you, or he’ll move on and it’s done.
Reply 2
Or the only other thing, is there is an ex or past relationship in the picture/he hasn’t fully moved on from it. And the fact he’s getting serious with you has panicked him.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve had this happen before but I’m also an over thinker. The absolute best thing to do is just to leave him be, don’t message and let him come to you. Clearly there’s a reason or something that’s triggered it - he’ll either come back and try to discuss with you, or he’ll move on and it’s done.

I was gonna leave it for a few days then send a message just to see if he wanted to meet up in a couple of weeks to see how we're both feeling as it was evident neither of us wanted it to be over.
Reply 4
Or the only other thing, is there is an ex or past relationship in the picture/he hasn’t fully moved on from it. And the fact he’s getting serious with you has panicked him.

He's never really been in a proper relationship, so I do think it's scared him a bit. He said it was what he wanted, and that this was the most serious he's been with someone. But he was just having some doubts and it wasn't fair on me. He said he did want to be with me and didn't want to throw away what we had. So I really don't know what to do? I don't want to lose what we had, we both said it was something neither of us had before.
Reply 5
Been seeing this guy for a few months and it was going great. Never clicked so instantly with someone and been completely myself. He said the same.

However, today he's just pretty much ended it cos he needs some time to himself. He said it's 100% nothing to do with me, and that he really likes me. He's never got along with someone so well, and loved that I got a long with all his friends and family. However he just has some tiny doubts that he can't shake.

He said he didn't want to end things but didn't think it was fair to me and that he just needs some time to himself. He did warn me he was a massive over thinker, but I am too.

I don't know what to do because we both clearly care for each other a lot, and I really don't want it to be over.

Do I let him have his space for a bit and then message him in a couple of weeks to see if he wants to reassess, or just leave him to it?

I infer, he must be afraid of something. There must be a deep down wound inside his heart, and perhaps because you both were hitting it off brilliantly, it might have scared him. Do give him some time, he will come around.

If you both care for each other a lot, like you mentioned, then I am sure he will come around. He might be going through something, and just needs a break.

I am sure it will be okay:smile:

Cheers
Reply 6
Give him a fair bit of space and see what happens. This is in the nature of early relationships and the more intense initially, the more spectacular the crash tends to be
Reply 7
I infer, he must be afraid of something. There must be a deep down wound inside his heart, and perhaps because you both were hitting it off brilliantly, it might have scared him. Do give him some time, he will come around.

If you both care for each other a lot, like you mentioned, then I am sure he will come around. He might be going through something, and just needs a break.

I am sure it will be okay:smile:

Cheers

How much time should I give him?

I'm really struggling. We've got from talking all day and seeing it each other pretty much everyday to nothing. It's so hard.
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
Give him a fair bit of space and see what happens. This is in the nature of early relationships and the more intense initially, the more spectacular the crash tends to be

I'm trying to, but it's just so hard. And it wasn't necessarily something he wanted himself, he was going round in circles in his own head and that was what he concluded on. The he texted me saying he was really sorry. I just didn't respond because how do I respond to that?
Reply 9
I'm trying to, but it's just so hard. And it wasn't necessarily something he wanted himself, he was going round in circles in his own head and that was what he concluded on. The he texted me saying he was really sorry. I just didn't respond because how do I respond to that?

I know. I think the only hope is not to push on it

I'm really struggling. We've got from talking all day and seeing it each other pretty much everyday to nothing. It's so hard.

I completely get this. I would say try and give it a week to two weeks - ideally let him come to you.

It's difficult and it's something if you're new to relationships, which you learn. You should never make your whole life about a person. Yes you should make time for them, but you should have a life/friends/activities outside of that. In an early stage of a relationship, seeing them everyday is very intense - I would never do this and only once you get to know them, should they deserve more of your time. Otherwise relationships like this become very intense and burnout quickly.

Does he have a sibling? Or someone that you know personally, like another friend? Ask that person what is going on. If it is something personal do NOT confront your boyfriend about it. Keep it in your mind that something is going on. Because I think there is something that is happening with him, he is going through something, and he is fearing to tell you/someone about it.

Or, another way would be to send him a message? Invite him for coffee?
Reply 12
I completely get this. I would say try and give it a week to two weeks - ideally let him come to you.

It's difficult and it's something if you're new to relationships, which you learn. You should never make your whole life about a person. Yes you should make time for them, but you should have a life/friends/activities outside of that. In an early stage of a relationship, seeing them everyday is very intense - I would never do this and only once you get to know them, should they deserve more of your time. Otherwise relationships like this become very intense and burnout quickly.

I would let him come to me, but I just don't think he will. I didn't really say much during the conversation so I feel like it probably should be me to send a message, just to let him know how I am actually feeling.

Oh no I completely agree. Normally I'd take it slow but he wanted to see me all the time which was actually really nice, very different to what I'm used to. I mentioned that and said maybe it scared him, perhaps we moved too fast. He said no, that's how he wanted it.
Reply 13
Does he have a sibling? Or someone that you know personally, like another friend? Ask that person what is going on. If it is something personal do NOT confront your boyfriend about it. Keep it in your mind that something is going on. Because I think there is something that is happening with him, he is going through something, and he is fearing to tell you/someone about it.

Or, another way would be to send him a message? Invite him for coffee?

He does yeah, but they're all people I met through him so I don't think I could really message them. Would seem too intrusive.

I think he does have things he needs to work on, but I wish he could do that with me around cos I could help him with these issues.

I was thinking about inviting him for a walk if he accepts, just something chill. But don't know when to do this?
He does yeah, but they're all people I met through him so I don't think I could really message them. Would seem too intrusive.

I think he does have things he needs to work on, but I wish he could do that with me around cos I could help him with these issues.

I was thinking about inviting him for a walk if he accepts, just something chill. But don't know when to do this?

My advice, invite him now. (not literally, but like when it is feasible).
Or you could visit him perhaps and ask him point blank. That is also a tactic :smile:
Reply 15
My advice, invite him now. (not literally, but like when it is feasible).
Or you could visit him perhaps and ask him point blank. That is also a tactic :smile:

I really want to but don't want to disrupt this 'alone time' of his.

May I advise, do the 'point-blank' strategy. Just ask him. Ask him what is going on. Ask him to include you in it. It might be embarrassing for him to say, so it is vital for you to act constructive and supportive, no matter if he did something wrong or anything out of line/norm. But do not 'fish-it-out' either. Ask him once, ask him twice. If he still does not say anything, then let him recover. He will come back to you. I am sure of it.

Try this. This should work.
Reply 17
However he just has some tiny doubts that he can't shake.

He said he didn't want to end things but didn't think it was fair to me and that he just needs some time to himself.

If you can't work things out together now, what does it say about a future relationship with more serious and practical considerations?

Has he even said what these doubts are?
Reply 18
He messaged earlier today asking if I was ok. Do I reply or just leave it?
He messaged earlier today asking if I was ok. Do I reply or just leave it?

Hi,

Did things improve or not yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending