The Student Room Group

Do me and my ex stand a chance again or am being delusional? I still really love him

So my ex (m21) and I (f21) were great friends before our relationship. He was in love with me when we were friends and waited for a whole year until i was out of my relationship.

We were dating for a year and a half (we broke up 2 months ago). We had a deep intense relationship and were each other first loves. Unfortunately, our relationship crumbled due to some unresolved trauma on my end (my mum died when i was younger, my dad was very abusive and i had a lot of abandonment issues) he was so great and would always try to help me through my mental health episodes but then it began to affect how i acted within the relationship (i was very insecure and would sometimes self-sabotage etc).

He broke up with me due to him feeling like he had really lost himself in the relationship by giving me so much during the friendship and relationship. He felt like he was burnt out. However we met up a few weeks after, he explained that he is still very in love with me, and he thinks about me constantly. This breakup isn't to see if the "grass is greener", he's having this time to focus completely on him. He said that he can't even watch p*rn, and is w**king over my nudes because he is still very in love and only has eyes for me still. There was a lot of chemistry in that chat, but we both knew that we need this time (me especially to work on ourselves).

We haven't spoken in 5 weeks now, I took a solo trip to LA and have grown so much. I'm becoming the person i know i want to be, I'm healing my trauma, and learning to love myself completely. However he's always on my mind, i miss him like crazy. I have no idea how he feels but a massive part of me is wishing to get back together in the future.

The thing is, we moved to uni together while we were together. It's summer vaccination right now. But next year is year 2 and he's moving in with half my friendship group. He is also moving a street away from me at uni. I know i'm going to have to see him, nights out with him, evenings with him and everyone. I feel so anxious about the potential of him not wanting to get back together, or even worse, seeing him move on. I don't know how i should play this? I want him back, i'm becoming the best version of myself, but that's not to say he will want or be ready to rekindle.

Please could someone advise me. What do you think my chances are? Shall i reach out to him before uni starts so we can meet up before, or let him come to me ( i don't want to chase). How should i play it next year to get him back? I don't want to seem desperate for him. Thanks.
Original post by LucyH211
So my ex (m21) and I (f21) were great friends before our relationship. He was in love with me when we were friends and waited for a whole year until i was out of my relationship.

We were dating for a year and a half (we broke up 2 months ago). We had a deep intense relationship and were each other first loves. Unfortunately, our relationship crumbled due to some unresolved trauma on my end (my mum died when i was younger, my dad was very abusive and i had a lot of abandonment issues) he was so great and would always try to help me through my mental health episodes but then it began to affect how i acted within the relationship (i was very insecure and would sometimes self-sabotage etc).

He broke up with me due to him feeling like he had really lost himself in the relationship by giving me so much during the friendship and relationship. He felt like he was burnt out. However we met up a few weeks after, he explained that he is still very in love with me, and he thinks about me constantly. This breakup isn't to see if the "grass is greener", he's having this time to focus completely on him. He said that he can't even watch p*rn, and is w**king over my nudes because he is still very in love and only has eyes for me still. There was a lot of chemistry in that chat, but we both knew that we need this time (me especially to work on ourselves).

We haven't spoken in 5 weeks now, I took a solo trip to LA and have grown so much. I'm becoming the person i know i want to be, I'm healing my trauma, and learning to love myself completely. However he's always on my mind, i miss him like crazy. I have no idea how he feels but a massive part of me is wishing to get back together in the future.

The thing is, we moved to uni together while we were together. It's summer vaccination right now. But next year is year 2 and he's moving in with half my friendship group. He is also moving a street away from me at uni. I know i'm going to have to see him, nights out with him, evenings with him and everyone. I feel so anxious about the potential of him not wanting to get back together, or even worse, seeing him move on. I don't know how i should play this? I want him back, i'm becoming the best version of myself, but that's not to say he will want or be ready to rekindle.

Please could someone advise me. What do you think my chances are? Shall i reach out to him before uni starts so we can meet up before, or let him come to me ( i don't want to chase). How should i play it next year to get him back? I don't want to seem desperate for him. Thanks.

It sounds like there's very much potential for you to get back together. Have you tried to reach out to him?
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds like there's very much potential for you to get back together. Have you tried to reach out to him?

No we haven't since our last talk in person (which i asked for). We spoke for hours and hours, there was a lot of chemistry and laughing, he told me it's definitely not a no for the future but he cant say yes because he doesn't know when he will be ready for a relationship again. He needs to focus on himself, recharge and find himself fully.

I know that i owe it to him and myself to heal, become the best version of myself so truly i need this time too. I've been going therapy and doing hours of self therapy every day. I can already see massive changes in myself. I want to reach out to him at the end of summer (he still has all my stuff at his), but i don't want to seem desperate.
Original post by emily.pyesta
No we haven't since our last talk in person (which i asked for). We spoke for hours and hours, there was a lot of chemistry and laughing, he told me it's definitely not a no for the future but he cant say yes because he doesn't know when he will be ready for a relationship again. He needs to focus on himself, recharge and find himself fully.

I know that i owe it to him and myself to heal, become the best version of myself so truly i need this time too. I've been going therapy and doing hours of self therapy every day. I can already see massive changes in myself. I want to reach out to him at the end of summer (he still has all my stuff at his), but i don't want to seem desperate.

Find a new man
Just talk, be honest and in case you want together make a plan, don't stop improving just because you get together again or not. There are so many opinions around, only you and him know your potential. But that doesn't mean, that it isn't smart to ask for help, how to deal with certain situations, what to improve, so that both of you can feel good in the relationship and you won't end up in the same situation again. (Or with another partner in the same situation.)
Original post by A jaded girl
Find a new man

why 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending