The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Really scared of expulsion

Currently in the final months of a postgrad course. Got my progress flagged in February, required to resubmit progress report and meet with faculty in July/August re the possibility of graduation.

There are lots of equipment and logistical problems in the lab, which hinder my progress but have never been taken seriously by my supervisor no matter how many times I have brought it up since September last year.

After consulting independent opinion for a month, I wrote to the department head about this in April, who delayed meaningful responses for over a month until I followed up last week, while my mental health spirals downwards to an all-time low due to both my worries of expulsion and personal problems. Counsellor schedules are packed. I won't have my 2nd in-person appointment until 30 May. I wonder if they are really that busy as it's already summer when undergrads are away.

By having their responses delayed, the resolution of those problems is delayed. By having the resolution of those problems delayed, I am literally put on the path to the worst that could happen. The university doesn't seem to have good student protection but is highly teacher-centric. I am deeply upset, angry and helpless. If the worst happens, there is no way I can explain to, much less convince, my parents and the only ending is...who knows.
Reply 1
Anyone going through the same?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Cant help you much im just a foolish high schooler but I wish you all the best and believe you will overcome this
Reply 3
Original post by FrogTesseract
Cant help you much im just a foolish high schooler but I wish you all the best and believe you will overcome this

Never mind.
Reply 4
I'm really sorry to hear about what you are going through. Firstly all your points are valid and its a shame you are in this position. I would advise you to document everything from the matters in the labs as to why it will hinder your progress also have witnesses in the lab that are willing to explain the reasoning too, that if they re willing to be a witness, speak to a postgraduate representative within your uni they will advise you further and hopefully help you along the way, be upfront and honest about your mental health during the meeting, also speak to your GP to see if they can give you a stress sick note, counsellor can do that too as evidence. Tbh honest with you its annoying that responses are delayed but as mean as this sounds some or most uni's don't really care about students we are just a number to them and we help them stay in business but I would also raise the point that you've had delayed responses which hasn't help.

I know this is easier said than done but please take it easy, think about it you've done the right thing there has just been a lot of delays and setbacks due to the lab etc, In terms of your personal life just take it easy please your life is so precious and honestly if you have to write this on a piece of paper and stick it on your wall just remember the quote 'This too shall pass' and I promise you it will, I will pray for you and I truly do wish the best of luck for you x
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really sorry to hear about what you are going through. Firstly all your points are valid and its a shame you are in this position. I would advise you to document everything from the matters in the labs as to why it will hinder your progress also have witnesses in the lab that are willing to explain the reasoning too, that if they re willing to be a witness, speak to a postgraduate representative within your uni they will advise you further and hopefully help you along the way, be upfront and honest about your mental health during the meeting, also speak to your GP to see if they can give you a stress sick note, counsellor can do that too as evidence. Tbh honest with you its annoying that responses are delayed but as mean as this sounds some or most uni's don't really care about students we are just a number to them and we help them stay in business but I would also raise the point that you've had delayed responses which hasn't help.

I know this is easier said than done but please take it easy, think about it you've done the right thing there has just been a lot of delays and setbacks due to the lab etc, In terms of your personal life just take it easy please your life is so precious and honestly if you have to write this on a piece of paper and stick it on your wall just remember the quote 'This too shall pass' and I promise you it will, I will pray for you and I truly do wish the best of luck for you x

Yes, I documented everything & passed it on to the dept head. I wish the PG covenor would have been informed of it too. I'll be meeting counsellors to further sort that out, like if any temporary docs can be given since I'm not going to queue up for a year for getting an appointment with the NHS mental health services. I can't afford private practitioners.
Reply 6
Hey hope you are okay just wanted to know how you are feeling now, I totally understand where you are coming from I really hope it works out for you. Have you tried looking at this link https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-an-NHS-talking-therapies-service/ you can refer yourself depending on the company the wait can vary for example I've referred myself and they got back to me in a couple of weeks time, I guess it depends but don't give up and also if you need someone to talk to you can always speak to samaritans via online chat or via phone(which is something I still do till now, they are really healful and useful too) https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/chat-online/
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hey hope you are okay just wanted to know how you are feeling now, I totally understand where you are coming from I really hope it works out for you. Have you tried looking at this link https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-an-NHS-talking-therapies-service/ you can refer yourself depending on the company the wait can vary for example I've referred myself and they got back to me in a couple of weeks time, I guess it depends but don't give up and also if you need someone to talk to you can always speak to samaritans via online chat or via phone(which is something I still do till now, they are really healful and useful too) https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/chat-online/

Oops I'm in Scotland rather than England
Reply 8
No worries, I've had a look online and this has appeared it's a free service via NHS in Scotland, have a look at the links.

https://www.nhs24.scot/our-services/living-life/#:~:text=The%20Living%20Life%20service%20offers,Friday%3A%201pm%20%2D%209pm)

https://breathingspace.scot/living-life/

I hope this helps and i'm wishing you all the best xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending