The Student Room Group

Mature student maintenance loans and grants

Having previously studied a part time course at university for two years (non degree) would I still be eligible for the full amount of maintenance loans and grants to study medicine on a five year full time undergraduate entry course
Did you receive a qualification from your part time study?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Did you receive a qualification from your part time study?

Yes, certificate in education
Original post by ljh89
Having previously studied a part time course at university for two years (non degree) would I still be eligible for the full amount of maintenance loans and grants to study medicine on a five year full time undergraduate entry course

Hi there, What was the level of qualification did you gain from the part time course? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What was the level of qualification did you gain from the part time course? Thanks, Angela

I believe it was a level 5 qualification
Hi ljh89,

Thank you. Your 2 years previous study will be taken into account in that case. This means that if you start the new course from year 1, then you need to self fund the Tuition Fees in the first year of the course. You will be eligible for the remaining years of the course and the Maintenance Loan and any supplementary grants year 1.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
I'm really confused as I was given conflicting information regarding tuition fees just a couple of days ago by another sfe representative here, please see the attachment for the conversation thread
Reply 7
Original post by ljh89
I'm really confused as I was given conflicting information regarding tuition fees just a couple of days ago by another sfe representative here, please see the attachment for the conversation thread

https://click.thestudentroom-emails.co.uk/?qs=e956398336e385b818a0cc49eb52addce4790099815ade6803ae0f0388892db092645f662fa2233773e5aaa6e2f47d6e1da5f1ef621b6c8ab48ad6fe926719d2

Hi there,

The information given by Clare is correct as you received a qualification from your part time course. Applications for 24/25 won't normally open till March time so if you apply as soon as they open, we can confirm for definite your finance.

Thanks,
Claire
I'm not sure where Callum got this from but it's not the case:

"Moreover, part time previous study is not taken into account for new full time courses so you should be eligible for tuition and maintenance funding for your new medicine course if it is studied full time as you mentioned that you studied your certificate in education on a part time basis

"Thanks,
"Calum"

Part time previous study is disregarded if you didn't achieve a qualification (under current rules)

There is a proposal that student funding rules will soon change to a Lifelong Learning Entitlement system which could change this (as in your 2 years of pt study would only count as 1 year of previous study)....but there's a LOT of detail still to be decided so it's impossible to advise anyone with any confidence about how the LLE will impact their funding.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
I'm not sure where Callum got this from but it's not the case:

"Moreover, part time previous study is not taken into account for new full time courses so you should be eligible for tuition and maintenance funding for your new medicine course if it is studied full time as you mentioned that you studied your certificate in education on a part time basis

"Thanks,
"Calum"

Part time previous study is disregarded if you didn't achieve a qualification (under current rules)

There is a proposal that student funding rules will soon change to a Lifelong Learning Entitlement system which could change this (as in your 2 years of pt study would only count as 1 year of previous study)....but there's a LOT of detail still to be decided so it's impossible to advise anyone with any confidence about how the LLE will impact their funding.

So to clarify, under current rules, would I have to self fund any years and how many years, and will I get five years worth of maintenance loans and grants, taking into account my previous study that I did receive a qualification for. Thanks
Original post by ljh89
So to clarify, under current rules, would I have to self fund any years and how many years, and will I get five years worth of maintenance loans and grants, taking into account my previous study that I did receive a qualification for. Thanks

This is my understanding:
"Your 2 years previous study will be taken into account in that case. This means that if you start the new course from year 1, then you need to self fund the Tuition Fees in the first year of the course. You will be eligible for the remaining years of the course and the Maintenance Loan and any supplementary grants year 1."
Original post by ljh89

Hi there, you are correct. The first 2 years would need to be self funded but you would still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan and supplementary Grants. Thanks, Ross
Reply 13
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there, you are correct. The first 2 years would need to be self funded but you would still be eligible for the Maintenance Loan and supplementary Grants. Thanks, Ross

I had this in my mind thy I would have to fund two years. So I would still get the maintenance and grants for the full five years of the course .
Original post by ljh89
I had this in my mind thy I would have to fund two years. So I would still get the maintenance and grants for the full five years of the course .

Hi there,

Yes you can still apply for the Maintenance Loan and the Supplementary Grants if applicable to you.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending