The Student Room Group

Psychology conversion MSc- UEL or Birkbeck?

Hi everyone,
I have been accepted to the psychology MSc at both UEL and Birkbeck Uni and don't know which Uni would be best?
UEL appeals to me because of the oppurtunity to continue to the PsychD doctorate which I intend to do, and links with other research institutions. But the location is far for me and not sure about the reputation.
On the other hand, Birkbeck appeals to me because of reputation and location, but not sure whether this course is good. Does anyone have any insight?
Hello!

Congrats on being accepted onto both courses :smile:

In terms of decision-making:

1) I'd recommend comparing course structures, modules offered, faculty expertise and research opportunities.

2) If you haven't already, visit both universities to get a feel for the campus, facilities, and overall atmosphere. Attend open days or arrange individual visits to meet faculty members, current students, and admissions staff who can provide further insights.

3) Consider your personal circumstances: Take into account factors such as commute, living arrangements, financial considerations, and any other personal preferences or requirements that may influence your decision.

4) Seek advice: Consult with your academic advisors, mentors, or professionals in the field who can provide guidance based on their expertise and knowledge of the industry.

Ultimately, it's your decision as each person will have different preferences, but I hope this helps, and best of luck with your studies! :smile:

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by maya123123
Hi everyone,
I have been accepted to the psychology MSc at both UEL and Birkbeck Uni and don't know which Uni would be best?
UEL appeals to me because of the oppurtunity to continue to the PsychD doctorate which I intend to do, and links with other research institutions. But the location is far for me and not sure about the reputation.
On the other hand, Birkbeck appeals to me because of reputation and location, but not sure whether this course is good. Does anyone have any insight?

@maya123123
Hi, I did a Psychology MSc albeit it elsewhere. Something that influenced me was making sure the course was fully registered with the BPS, and then checked the teaching/learning standards by looking at the Universities report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report, which should both be readily available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your advice , I appreciate it :smile:

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hello!

Congrats on being accepted onto both courses :smile:

In terms of decision-making:

1) I'd recommend comparing course structures, modules offered, faculty expertise and research opportunities.

2) If you haven't already, visit both universities to get a feel for the campus, facilities, and overall atmosphere. Attend open days or arrange individual visits to meet faculty members, current students, and admissions staff who can provide further insights.

3) Consider your personal circumstances: Take into account factors such as commute, living arrangements, financial considerations, and any other personal preferences or requirements that may influence your decision.

4) Seek advice: Consult with your academic advisors, mentors, or professionals in the field who can provide guidance based on their expertise and knowledge of the industry.

Ultimately, it's your decision as each person will have different preferences, but I hope this helps, and best of luck with your studies! :smile:

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student
Reply 4
Thanks Marc :smile: Both are registered with the BPS but don't know about teaching standards and excellence, I'll take a look.

Bw,

Maya

Original post by Arden University
@maya123123
Hi, I did a Psychology MSc albeit it elsewhere. Something that influenced me was making sure the course was fully registered with the BPS, and then checked the teaching/learning standards by looking at the Universities report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report, which should both be readily available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by maya123123
Hi everyone,

Hi @maya123123!

Congratulations on your offers!

Whilst I haven't studied at either of the universities, I am currently studying Psychology, and can give you some tips on the things that I found most important when picking between universities for Psychology. Firstly, I'd recommend visiting both universities if you are able to, and/or attending an open day, be it in person or online. This will give you the opportunity to ask any questions you have to both students and staff, and can give you a feel for the university, and can help you in seeing whether you can see yourself studying there.
I would also recommend making a pros and cons list about the courses/universities, so that you can more easily identify which parts of the universities/their courses that you like the most (similar to what you have done in your original post). This can sometimes make it clearer about your preference.
And lastly, I'd just say to go with your gut! If you have a feeling drawing you to a particular place, I'd recommend just going for it! That's what I did, and it was the best decision I could have made!

Good luck with your decision!

Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest