The Student Room Group

Do I drop or continue my apprenticeship?

So in a bit of a predicament, I'm in the final stages of my apprenticeship but my employer is about to make me redundant. I have told my training provider and they have just popped me the question of if I want to continue. I have a full level 3 diploma in Computing and my apprenticeship is for a level 3 Software Developer - meaning my diploma 'outweighs' my apprenticeship on paper. My experience has been way more valuable than my coursework and going through the final stages of the End Point Assessment are going to be a minefield should I continue and have to find another employer. I've looked around for a few junior roles in my area and my CV pretty much fits the bill and I'd rather pursue them as a normal employee than an apprentice now. My main concern is whether doing this would bar me from taking on a level 4 apprenticeship in the future. I wouldn't "fail" the course per say, I'd just not complete it.

Any bit of advice would be extremely helpful
Reply 1
Original post by bencar2002
So in a bit of a predicament, I'm in the final stages of my apprenticeship but my employer is about to make me redundant. I have told my training provider and they have just popped me the question of if I want to continue. I have a full level 3 diploma in Computing and my apprenticeship is for a level 3 Software Developer - meaning my diploma 'outweighs' my apprenticeship on paper. My experience has been way more valuable than my coursework and going through the final stages of the End Point Assessment are going to be a minefield should I continue and have to find another employer. I've looked around for a few junior roles in my area and my CV pretty much fits the bill and I'd rather pursue them as a normal employee than an apprentice now. My main concern is whether doing this would bar me from taking on a level 4 apprenticeship in the future. I wouldn't "fail" the course per say, I'd just not complete it.

Any bit of advice would be extremely helpful

How far through your apprenticeship are you? You said final stages and according to gov.uk:
The government will fund your apprenticeship training for at least 12 weeks following redundancy to give you time to find alternative employment so that you can continue with your apprenticeship.
You may be able to continue and complete your apprenticeship, including taking your end-point assessment (EPA), even if you do not find a new employer if:
you have less than 6 months training to complete
or
you have completed 75% or more of your training

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/redundancy-support-for-apprentices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending