The Student Room Group

Masters Dissertation Grade

Hi,

I've currently completed 4 x 30 credit modules and completed PgDip. I am about to complete my dissertation to get the masters (60 credits). Are they all weighted equally to the final grade? I have an average of 80 across all four modules (120 credits), so in theory I only need to get roughly 52 on my dissertation to have an overall average of 70.

I am, of course, hoping I maintain a similar standard to the taught modules, but just wondered.

I'm sure i heard, or read someone a long time ago that actually it's only the dissertation grade that determines your final grade.

This is probably a silly question, one I should know the answer to at this point in my study.

Thank you!
Original post by jogreenw
Hi,

I've currently completed 4 x 30 credit modules and completed PgDip. I am about to complete my dissertation to get the masters (60 credits). Are they all weighted equally to the final grade? I have an average of 80 across all four modules (120 credits), so in theory I only need to get roughly 52 on my dissertation to have an overall average of 70.

I am, of course, hoping I maintain a similar standard to the taught modules, but just wondered.

I'm sure i heard, or read someone a long time ago that actually it's only the dissertation grade that determines your final grade.

This is probably a silly question, one I should know the answer to at this point in my study.

Thank you!

There is a number of moving parts to this.

Are they all weighted equally to the final grade?
No, that's what the number of credits are for. To my knowledge, a standard master's degree in the UK has 180 credits; this concurs with what you have described 4 units at 30 credits each + 60 credit unit = 180 credits in total.

I have an average of 80 across all four modules (120 credits), so in theory I only need to get roughly 52 on my dissertation to have an overall average of 70
I'll correct your calculations. Using:
final grade = weight1*grade1 + weight2*-grade2...
70 = 4*(30/180*80) + 60/180*x
= 160/3 + x/3
210= 160 +x
50 = x

You need at least a 50% (a borderline pass at master's level) to get a 70 overall. Congrats on the progress, but I wouldn't copout on the dissertation. I would try to get as high as a grade as you can, even though you can scrape by. The competition for PhDs are fierce, especially at top universities. You need your best grades to even stand a chance, even if it's above 70.

Not to my knowledge. Where did you hear this?
If the disseration is the only thing that mattered, then there's no point in having the taught modules or being tested in the taught modules.
Did you mean an MPhil or doctoarate? If so, then that might be the case (although I wouldn't say for definite) because the final thesis is the basis of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending