The Student Room Group

English Language Test for University

hii ◡̈
I’m a year 12 student and looking forward to going to university in 2024. Previously from Germany, I’ve been living in London for ~10 years. I am fluent in English and got 5s (strong pass) in both of my English exams for my GCSEs. However, because it is my third language, is it required that I take an English Lang exam such as IELTS when applying to universities?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by niing.148
hii ◡̈
I’m a year 12 student and looking forward to going to university in 2024. Previously from Germany, I’ve been living in London for ~10 years. I am fluent in English and got 5s (strong pass) in both of my English exams for my GCSEs. However, because it is my third language, is it required that I take an English Lang exam such as IELTS when applying to universities?

I think as long as you have GCSEs in both you will be fine.
Reply 2
Hey! English is my second language but I've been here for 15 years. When I applied, my uni required that I send evidence that I've been educated her for the past 5 years... I believe? In any case you'll be fine! Ask your school to have a letter confirming you go there for you so you can scan it and send
Reply 3
Original post by _user_
I think as long as you have GCSEs in both you will be fine.

I see, thank you so much for replying
Reply 4
Original post by ghfkjdfh
Hey! English is my second language but I've been here for 15 years. When I applied, my uni required that I send evidence that I've been educated her for the past 5 years... I believe? In any case you'll be fine! Ask your school to have a letter confirming you go there for you so you can scan it and send

Thank you for replying I was kinda scared, since they had a fee and I’ve been busy with exams but this is extremely helpful, cheers :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by niing.148
Thank you for replying I was kinda scared, since they had a fee and I’ve been busy with exams but this is extremely helpful, cheers :smile:

You're welcome! I agree it would be a total waste of time haha
I've been trying to find my email from my uni saying that I need the confirmation but I can't seem to find it. I'm not a hundred percent sure that it's 5 years, it might be somewhere around that
But in any case you're safe as I only had to provide evidence from my secondary school/ sixth form which is the 7 years which you have been here for
I'm also pretty sure you can pull up any medical records to prove that you're a resident but school is probably more convenient

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending