The Student Room Group

How to introduce new foods to diet?

Hey all!

I don't know if this is a common problem people face, but I have a nightmare food palate. I'm not quite "Chicken nuggets amd fries" level, if you catch my drift, but for a young adult, it's not great either.

Going into uni, I know I'm going to need to focus on budget options. And I know most of those won't be exactly catered to the picky eating diet, and will contain some variety of veg. So I'd like to try introducing more veg into my diet, to get the most bang for my buck (and not leave half the meal sitting).

I'd also like to do it for health reasons, I'm hoping to become a paramedic and to get in shape, I need to start eating healthier.

Anyone got any good advice on how to do this?

I should add, I do already eat the odd bit of veg (well, rarely), and I like a good variety of fruits.

I find my biggest reason for disliking vegetables is the texture? I like the flavours, generally, given I'm happy enough to eat crispy onions, raw bell pepper, raw carrot, etc, I just find they *have* to be crispy. Soggy veg just..doesn't work for me. I'd even blend them into sauces and whatnot, as I do with tomatoes when I make pasta sauce. Only vegetable I'll refuse is mushroom. Just don't like it.

If anyone else has been here, or is in my situation - what do I do? I get this may sound like something I could google, but I think getting advice that practically helps could be a godsend.

P.S. If you have any recipes you live by to recommend, let me know! I'd love to try them.
Reply 1
It sounds like a texture issue.
You like raw "crispy" foods, so eat more of them.
You can roast veg (or do them in an airfryer from raw) which keeps them quite crispy - you can also add seasonings to them as they roast.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
It sounds like a texture issue.
You like raw "crispy" foods, so eat more of them.
You can roast veg (or do them in an airfryer from raw) which keeps them quite crispy - you can also add seasonings to them as they roast.

Yeah I think it is just a major texture issue.

Never thought of roasting veg! (other than a potato I suppose :s-smilie:) Should try it and see. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply 3
Roast veg are wonderful. You can dice root veg (potatoes, carrots, swede, beetroot) and roast in olive oil, salt and pepper. Or peppers, courgettes and onions. Anything really. They are great accompaniments for a bit of grilled meat or plant food equivalent, or halloumi/feta.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
All products are probably impossible, but I think that all vitamins are
Reply 5
I'm obsessed with crispy foods too! Try veggie/fruit crisps! Holland and Barrett do loads! Avocado, plantain, banana, dragon fruit, mango, bean, carrot. . .
You could also try different vegetables turned into chips if you're fine with that texture? Or I've seen hash browns made from cauliflower or sweet potato out there if those work? :smile: I love raw vegetables tbh! /
Maybe trying different soups would work too?
Reply 6
Original post by SakuraSkye
I'm obsessed with crispy foods too! Try veggie/fruit crisps! Holland and Barrett do loads! Avocado, plantain, banana, dragon fruit, mango, bean, carrot. . .
You could also try different vegetables turned into chips if you're fine with that texture? Or I've seen hash browns made from cauliflower or sweet potato out there if those work? :smile: I love raw vegetables tbh! /
Maybe trying different soups would work too?

Personally I've always wondered would mango crisps be nice! (I like the fruit on it's own) Must give them a try now lol. But if I see veg alternatives, I'll definitely check them out!
I've sweet potato chips in the freezer. Hoping to try them sometime soon to see what I think. If I see them as hash browns, I'll try em too.
Never thought about expanding the soup front! I don't mind vegetable soup (or is it broth, when you strain the soggy veg? 🤔) but other than that I'm a big fan of the old reliable - tomato soup 😂. Chicken and leek was one I liked too. Definitely checking for any other soups I might fancy.
Thank you for all of the help!

Quick Reply

Latest