The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Attending OU whilst on J2 Visa in US

Hi, I am wondering whether anybody can help me..

The back story...

I am a UK citizen currently living on a J2 visa in the US (my husband is doing a post doc here on a J1), our current visa expires in Jun 24.

I do have ties to the UK for example, a mortgage (with permission for temp letting whilst we're out of the country), a bank account and I am on a career break. Tax wise in the US I am a non-resident alien.

The question...

1 - I would like to study psychology with Open University, studying while I am in the US. Would this be possible?

2 - Would I qualify for student finance for my course? I am not interested in having a maintenance loan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Yes.

2. Probably not if you tell Student Finance you are living in the States - so don't. I know a lot of OU students who register with the university (and apply for finance) using a UK address even if they're living abroad. Don't overthink this, just use your UK address.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thank you for responding!

This is what my husband said, however my concern is I have already given HMRC my US contact address - do you know if it matters?
Original post by Snufkin
1. Yes.

2. Probably not if you tell Student Finance you are living in the States - so don't. I know a lot of OU students who register with the university (and apply for finance) using a UK address even if they're living abroad. Don't overthink this, just use your UK address.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for responding!

This is what my husband said, however my concern is I have already given HMRC my US contact address - do you know if it matters?

I really don't think it matters. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest