The Student Room Group

Student nurse and single mam help?

i I am starting uni in September and my husband works away mon-fri and I have no family support around me. I can’t get childcare free but I am willing to pay using my student finance. However I have to do 22hours of placement along side uni which is fine but my question is ….

would placements allow me to do my 22 hours as short days instead of 2 12 hour shifts as I have no one to pick my little boy aged 1 up from childcare when they shut at 6?

Thanks
Reply 1
hi, i've found that placements are quite flexible with students' needs so there shouldn't be much of a problem.

relating to childcare and such, https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/parental-support-formerly-child-dependants-allowance provide £2000 in financial support to parents in eligible degrees which you may find useful :smile:
Original post by Megohh95
i I am starting uni in September and my husband works away mon-fri and I have no family support around me. I can’t get childcare free but I am willing to pay using my student finance. However I have to do 22hours of placement along side uni which is fine but my question is ….

would placements allow me to do my 22 hours as short days instead of 2 12 hour shifts as I have no one to pick my little boy aged 1 up from childcare when they shut at 6?

Thanks

@Megohh95
Hi, I teach Nursing and Midwifery in a college and some old students of mine came back for a talk recently and were asked a similar question, they said to speak to student services at the University as there are often little funding pots they can *sometimes* help with which they don't often promote

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by okayykayy
hi, i've found that placements are quite flexible with students' needs so there shouldn't be much of a problem.

relating to childcare and such, https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf/parental-support-formerly-child-dependants-allowance provide £2000 in financial support to parents in eligible degrees which you may find useful :smile:

Thank you so much for you reply. Yes I got £5000 of government plus £2000 for having a dependent good job I have student funding aswell on top as it’s going to cost £6000 if not more in childcare costs but it will all be worth it! I was just so nervous on the hospitals not being flexiable x
Reply 4
Oh really I will do this thank you so much

Meg
Reply 5
Original post by Arden University
@Megohh95
Hi, I teach Nursing and Midwifery in a college and some old students of mine came back for a talk recently and were asked a similar question, they said to speak to student services at the University as there are often little funding pots they can *sometimes* help with which they don't often promote

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hi I called them unfortunately got no where all support for childcare is through student supports who only give couples who want less then £19000 a year help thank you though
Original post by Megohh95

Hi I called them unfortunately got no where all support for childcare is through student supports who only give couples who want less then £19000 a year help thank you though

Hi - similar situation here. Haven’t applied yet as have so many worries and concerns - not on the course content but on placement shifts! Such a shame but a real consideration. I have a 3 and 6 year old and really want to study nursing and get into the field - but so worried about childcare costs - nursery isn’t cheap even with free stretched funding. 3 days nursery with free hours and wrap around for the other over 2/3rds of the maintenance loan and 2 x nhs bursaries. The 85% of childcare costs would be most helpful but we are above the 27/28k limit so no help other than the 2000 NHS dependants bursary.

I want to believe placements are considerate but understand also they are working mentoring and supervising and stressed too - and we need get our hours in alongside them!

Are you on a course or looking to apply soon? Exciting journey!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending