The Student Room Group

DSA Equipment Monitor

Hi, I want to apply for DSA and I believe a monitor will benefit me. How do I go about justifying this need? I don't know how to word it.

What did you say to get a monitor?

Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymouspence
Hi, I want to apply for DSA and I believe a monitor will benefit me. How do I go about justifying this need? I don't know how to word it.

You don’t exactly apply for a monitor you apply for a DSA based on medical proof of a condition. If this is accepted you will then have a needs assessment appointment where a member of the team will suggest available equipment that would help you to study with your handicap which you can accept or reject. Sometimes it’s a PC, a printer or software. If you require a particular type of monitor you can request it and if approved they will either finance all or part of it.
They also provide study support.
If you require equipment for September you will have to apply NOW as there are huge numbers of students to deal with and it’s getting a bit late if you want everything to be in place for the first day of your course.
Thank you for your response. I'm aware about applying to DSA. But a piece of equipment I need is a monitor. However, I am not sure how to suggest this to them. I don't want come across as disingenuous, as I'm not.

So how can I justify needing a monitor?
Original post by Euapp
You don’t exactly apply for a monitor you apply for a DSA based on medical proof of a condition. If this is accepted you will then have a needs assessment appointment where a member of the team will suggest available equipment that would help you to study with your handicap which you can accept or reject. Sometimes it’s a PC, a printer or software. If you require a particular type of monitor you can request it and if approved they will either finance all or part of it.
They also provide study support.
If you require equipment for September you will have to apply NOW as there are huge numbers of students to deal with and it’s getting a bit late if you want everything to be in place for the first day of your course.
Reply 3
Thank you for your response. I'm aware about applying to DSA. But a piece of equipment I need is a monitor. However, I am not sure how to suggest this to them. I don't want come across as disingenuous, as I'm not.

So how can I justify needing a monitor?

You literally just ask for it. They asked us if we had something in particular we would like and we requested an A3 printer for mind mapping. It was granted but we had to contribute a small amount towards it.

Hello,

If you think a monitor will help you, if you explain this as best you can to the assessor, they will definitely consider it. Often, for more expensive equipment (I had a laptop, for example) you have to pay a contribution towards it, so I'm not sure if this would be the case for a monitor. If they do not agree that you need a monitor, they will definitely suggest other equipment that they think would help.

Hope this helps a little,

Maya

Quick Reply

Latest