The Student Room Group

Deleting Social Media

Hey!

So about a month ago, I decided I wanted to delete Instagram, Tiktok and Snapchat. I'm 20 years old and I've had these apps for about 8 years. I was thinking about this for a year but never had the confidence to do it, until recently when I felt like my life was falling apart; I thought to myself what could possibly go wrong at this point?

Well, since deleting them I've felt so much better mentally and have been super productive which has also helped my mental health, and much more confident I've done things I never thought I had the confidence to do, without thinking twice (something which I definitely didn't see coming, no clue if its a by-product of not having socials but it's only been a month and I've seen some impressive changes!) To be honest I don't plan on going back onto social media anytime soon, if not ever.

What I want to ask is if this is a 'stupid' idea. After being fairly active on all three platforms throughout my teenage years it does feel a little strange.
I'm just worried that when I go onto my next 'stage' in life I may be judged for not having any SM so it may be difficult to make friends. Or if I find someone attractive and I want to make a move, I won't have a platform to give to them (lol I will never have the confidence to do that but a girl can dream) and vice versa.

Haha, sorry this sounds so pathetic, but as I have mentioned I've had them for almost half my life, and I'm a little scared of the 'unknown'. Just want to hear some thoughts :smile:
Original post by a.plane
Hey!

So about a month ago, I decided I wanted to delete Instagram, Tiktok and Snapchat. I'm 20 years old and I've had these apps for about 8 years. I was thinking about this for a year but never had the confidence to do it, until recently when I felt like my life was falling apart; I thought to myself what could possibly go wrong at this point?

Well, since deleting them I've felt so much better mentally and have been super productive which has also helped my mental health, and much more confident I've done things I never thought I had the confidence to do, without thinking twice (something which I definitely didn't see coming, no clue if its a by-product of not having socials but it's only been a month and I've seen some impressive changes!) To be honest I don't plan on going back onto social media anytime soon, if not ever.

What I want to ask is if this is a 'stupid' idea. After being fairly active on all three platforms throughout my teenage years it does feel a little strange.
I'm just worried that when I go onto my next 'stage' in life I may be judged for not having any SM so it may be difficult to make friends. Or if I find someone attractive and I want to make a move, I won't have a platform to give to them (lol I will never have the confidence to do that but a girl can dream) and vice versa.

Haha, sorry this sounds so pathetic, but as I have mentioned I've had them for almost half my life, and I'm a little scared of the 'unknown'. Just want to hear some thoughts :smile:

No it’s not stupid you do you . If it’s benefitted you massively like you’ve said then you don’t need it, there is always WhatsApp and text to contact people and even tinder if you wanted to use it which is a dating app and not social media so it’s different . I know several people who don’t have social media and we talk on WhatsApp and still get along fine . It’s alright
Original post by Kiyomiwong95x
No it’s not stupid you do you . If it’s benefitted you massively like you’ve said then you don’t need it, there is always WhatsApp and text to contact people and even tinder if you wanted to use it which is a dating app and not social media so it’s different . I know several people who don’t have social media and we talk on WhatsApp and still get along fine . It’s alright

yea like as long as. u have mediums to contact people online for communication purposes, i dont rlly think its a big deal. i think its great u did this... i myself wish i could lmao

Quick Reply

Latest