The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Submitted my Final Application Form late [Durham University]

I was notified recently in an email by Durham that students need to complete a Final application form in order to enrol at the university.

I had no idea about this checkbox before and had just assumed that the Acceptance on UCAS meant that I had, in fact, been accepted.

Unfortunately Durham's reminder email came way past the deadline and now i am anxiously wondering if this means that Durham will withdraw its unconditional firm (UF) preventing me from attending university.

Does anyone know the admissions team's procedure in this situation?
Do I still have a place? Would they inform me if I no longer did?
Original post by Wolfram123
I was notified recently in an email by Durham that students need to complete a Final application form in order to enrol at the university.

I had no idea about this checkbox before and had just assumed that the Acceptance on UCAS meant that I had, in fact, been accepted.

Unfortunately Durham's reminder email came way past the deadline and now i am anxiously wondering if this means that Durham will withdraw its unconditional firm (UF) preventing me from attending university.

I reckon that you are probably best to contact admissions as they will best know your case and what’s going on.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I reckon that you are probably best to contact admissions as they will best know your case and what’s going on.

Thanks for the response, I emailed them, but I had hoped some students might have found themselves in similar situations where the issue had been solved favourably.

Hiya

I do remember filling up a form on Banner after I accepted the offer on UCAS but it's been 2 years since and I can't really pinpoint the exact mechanism behind it. The best way would be to ask the admissions team directly and since you've done that, I'd say just wait for their response.

-Himieka
Have you actually completed the enrolment process or did it not let you?

Many unis have a separate enrolment team, so it may be best searching for their contact details as well.

If you did enrol but are worried that it was late, oi would contact your academic department rather than admissions.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Have you actually completed the enrolment process or did it not let you?

Many unis have a separate enrolment team, so it may be best searching for their contact details as well.

If you did enrol but are worried that it was late, oi would contact your academic department rather than admissions.

I am not sure if enrolment has started yet. Their website states you will get emails with details for enrolment once you have completed all the steps, whether that's days or weeks I have no idea.

My main worry is that Durham has forfeited my place without informing me and that it will be treated as a fait accompli.

Thanks for the response though! Makes the wait a bit more bearable.
Reply 6
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

I do remember filling up a form on Banner after I accepted the offer on UCAS but it's been 2 years since and I can't really pinpoint the exact mechanism behind it. The best way would be to ask the admissions team directly and since you've done that, I'd say just wait for their response.

-Himieka

Thank you for the response!

If their response informs me that they have given my place to another applicant, is there a way I can appeal their decision?

I haven't seen a case like mine online so I am hoping the university solves these issues amicably, but I want to be prepared for the worst.
If you are UF and enrolment hasn't started yet, I'm not sure why they would be withdrawing anyone's offer at this stage.

As above, I would just speak to the academic dept and make sure they're still expecting you and what the process will be.
Thank you for the response!

If their response informs me that they have given my place to another applicant, is there a way I can appeal their decision?

I haven't seen a case like mine online so I am hoping the university solves these issues amicably, but I want to be prepared for the worst.

Hiya

Let me check with the admissions team and see what the consequences are. The website does mention that the Final Acceptance Form needs to be completed within 7 days but if you've been able to log into the portal and still fill out the form after the deadline, I don't think it would work against you. Again, this is only what I can make of the situation, so take this with a grain of salt. And since you asked, a quick Google search revealed the complaints policy for applicants which you can read through: https://www.dur.ac.uk/media/durham-university/study/admissions-policies/ComplaintsProcedureforApplicantsrevisedMay2020.pdf

-Himieka
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 9
Hiya

Let me check with the admissions team and see what the consequences are. The website does mention that the Final Acceptance Form needs to be completed within 7 days but if you've been able to log into the portal and still fill out the form after the deadline, I don't think it would work against you. Again, this is only what I can make of the situation, so take this with a grain of salt. And since you asked, a quick Google search revealed the complaints policy for applicants which you can read through: https://www.dur.ac.uk/media/durham-university/study/admissions-policies/ComplaintsProcedureforApplicantsrevisedMay2020.pdf

-Himieka

They got back to me today, but all they had to say was that my place was not guaranteed and there was nothing i could do.
They got back to me today, but all they had to say was that my place was not guaranteed and there was nothing i could do.

I'm sorry to hear that, did you try ringing them and seeing if they give the same response over the phone also?

-Himieka
Reply 11
I'm sorry to hear that, did you try ringing them and seeing if they give the same response over the phone also?

-Himieka

Good news!
Apparently the first email was a typo and my place IS guaranteed!
Good news!
Apparently the first email was a typo and my place IS guaranteed!

Yayy! congratulations :smile:
Reply 13
Thank you all for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest