The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

1st Year Halls accomodation

Hi , I am not sure if anyone can offer advice, I missed my Halls accommodation deadline as I was checking the wrong email address ; Once I realised there was none left and now they have advised there may only be private accommodation left which I really don't want to do... has anyone else have this happen or can you offer any help? I really don't want to stay out of halls for my first year and feel really unhappy about it
Original post by IT1996
Hi , I am not sure if anyone can offer advice, I missed my Halls accommodation deadline as I was checking the wrong email address ; Once I realised there was none left and now they have advised there may only be private accommodation left which I really don't want to do... has anyone else have this happen or can you offer any help? I really don't want to stay out of halls for my first year and feel really unhappy about it

Can I suggest that you compare notes with @Ellie237 on this thread who had (and may still have) a very similar issue.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much , I have had a lookit seems lots of people are in the same predicament Although I am not sure what to do , I thought every first year student was guaranteed accommodation on campus.. I don't think I would have a good experience in a house share and I am stressing now as Southampton was my first choice... I am gutted

Original post by DataVenia
Can I suggest that you compare notes with @Ellie237 on this thread who had (and may still have) a very similar issue.
Original post by IT1996
Thank you so much , I have had a lookit seems lots of people are in the same predicament Although I am not sure what to do , I thought every first year student was guaranteed accommodation on campus.. I don't think I would have a good experience in a house share and I am stressing now as Southampton was my first choice... I am gutted

Nope. The accommodation guarantee is only extended to those who applied by the deadline (11:59pm, UK time, on 1 July 2023). As you can see from that other thread, when accommodation is offered, it also has to be accepted within a particular time-frame.

If the university didn't have deadlines, you could (theoretically) have hundreds of students which the university thought had sorted-out accommodation themselves, or were living with their parents or whatever, calling them up a week before term starts asking for somewhere to live.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Nope. The accommodation guarantee is only extended to those who applied by the deadline (11:59pm, UK time, on 1 July 2023). As you can see from that other thread, when accommodation is offered, it also has to be accepted within a particular time-frame.

If the university didn't have deadlines, you could (theoretically) have hundreds of students which the university thought had sorted-out accommodation themselves, or were living with their parents or whatever, calling them up a week before term starts asking for somewhere to live.

We did reply by the 1st of July for our offer but missed the accommodation offer for which there is a 5 day turn around mainly as there has been an email address confusion the university has been very helpful but it is still very stressful I completely understand the need for deadlines .. this is just a unusual situation ...
Original post by IT1996
We did reply by the 1st of July for our offer but missed the accommodation offer for which there is a 5 day turn around mainly as there has been an email address confusion the university has been very helpful but it is still very stressful I completely understand the need for deadlines .. this is just a unusual situation ...

Understood. Personally, I find a 5-day turnaround requirement a bit daft. I'd have thought that quite a lot of people would have been caught out by that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending