The Student Room Group

Which is more realistic going college or forgetting dreams and paid cleaning job?

So I'm 34 I am currently studying preparing to work in adult social care level 2 via distance online learning I volunteer as assistant group facilitator twice a week one days teaching art to over 50s my mother told me it was unrealistic even tho it was my dream job cos it's unpaid position and wanted me to get cleaning job like her I ignored her requests to do right thing and now she changed her number so I can't contact her I did go no contact with her before cos she told me it was my fault my grandma is in a care home with dementia cos it happened before my birthday I'm on disability benefits due to being on meds for life and struggle with being isolated and I can't help but think I've ****ed off my mum by persuing my silly college fantasies instead of chasing a paid cleaning job
I mean there's a lot of options inbetween those two anyway, but pursuing a qualification and getting relevant work experience by doing volunteering isn't unrealistic. I mean it's actually a very practical thing to do, even if you may not necessarily achieve the end goal, as it will give you experience to get other jobs with better development opportunities than a cleaning job might (as opportunities to advance are somewhat limited there outside of starting your own business). Plus you may well achieve the end goal anyway.

In any case, it's literally, biologically impossible that you were the cause of your grandmother being in a care home with dementia. Your mother sounds like a rather cruel and unusual person based on the information provided.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean there's a lot of options inbetween those two anyway, but pursuing a qualification and getting relevant work experience by doing volunteering isn't unrealistic. I mean it's actually a very practical thing to do, even if you may not necessarily achieve the end goal, as it will give you experience to get other jobs with better development opportunities than a cleaning job might (as opportunities to advance are somewhat limited there outside of starting your own business). Plus you may well achieve the end goal anyway.

In any case, it's literally, biologically impossible that you were the cause of your grandmother being in a care home with dementia. Your mother sounds like a rather cruel and unusual person based on the information provided

I only have 9 GCSEs only five of them are grade c I'm not good enough to get into uni and I have previous cleaning experience plus cleaning job would pay my bills where as college would just get me into debt and I'd look pretty childish starting college at 34yr old feeling like I'm back at school I did art at college before and my mother came in and ripped up all my work in front of me and my class mates and my tutor and tutor told me he needed to remove me from course cos of my mother's behaviour as daughters turn into their mother's and I probably embarrassed her more than I embarrassed myself even tho this was 12yr ago I feel like since I applied to do art at college this year and got offered a place on course that I'm just repeating the incident of 12yr ago I was doing an art group recently and my mum told my private life to other clients behind my back and got me banned from the art group so her opinion of me doing art is pretty strong
Reply 3

In any case, it's literally, biologically impossible that you were the cause of your grandmother being in a care home with dementia. Your mother sounds like a rather cruel and unusual person based on the information provided.

How is it not unrealistic being in volunteer UNPAID work stuck on disability benefits? Yeah so what I'm on meds for life cos I got raped but I ain't in a wheelchair or epileptic so why aren't I getting forced to look for paid work like everyone else? It's really not fair
Reply 4

How is my mum cruel by wanting me to get a paid cleaning job and rightfully punishing me for my bad behaviour?
Reply 5
Are you looking for people on here to tell you to get a paid job?
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Are you looking for people on here to tell you to get a paid job?

No I'm asking the truth of which is more realistic and which ones a fantasy it's not a difficult question
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
No I'm asking the truth of which is more realistic and which ones a fantasy it's not a difficult question

both are realistic
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
both are realistic

In terms of increased cost of living tho I'd imagine a paid cleaning job is more realistic than an unpaid college course and unpaid volunteer work
Reply 9
In terms of increased cost of living tho I'd imagine a paid cleaning job is more realistic than an unpaid college course and unpaid volunteer work

if you think a paid job is the better choice, then go for it. no one is stopping you.
go to college. im sorry those things happened to you. people attend college at all ages, and my friend is close friends with a 29 year old, so 34 really isnt old. i hope you succeed
Reply 11
Original post by backstreetboyz
go to college. im sorry those things happened to you. people attend college at all ages, and my friend is close friends with a 29 year old, so 34 really isnt old. i hope you succeed

Yeah but what jobs are actually in art? Maybe i was just childish and immature applying for art course in first place maybe I should have just accepted doing the children's youth course my mother applied for in my name she wouldn't have changed her number otherwise cos I clearly upset her being selfish doing my own thing what kind of daughter must I be? I don't deserve a place at college maybe I should just get a cleaning job to punish myself
Reply 12
How is it not unrealistic being in volunteer UNPAID work stuck on disability benefits? Yeah so what I'm on meds for life cos I got raped but I ain't in a wheelchair or epileptic so why aren't I getting forced to look for paid work like everyone else? It's really not fair

There's nothing stopping you looking for and taking a paid job, or going to college, if you wish. Why do you think someone else should force you to do something when you can decide for yourself?

Have you had support and counselling for your past traumas? It sounds as though you still carry a lot of anger and resentment and this is impacting your freedom of choice.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Surnia
There's nothing stopping you looking for and taking a paid job, or going to college, if you wish. Why do you think someone else should force you to do something when you can decide for yourself?

Have you had support and counselling for your past traumas? It sounds as though you still carry a lot of anger and resentment and this is impacting your freedom of choice.

Because I've put my mother through enough trauma of not doing as I'm told and then today I'm getting accused of being an abuse victim when it's just my mother wanting what's best for me knowing what's best for me and me being disrespectful and a selfish brat by persuing a career I want that she disagrees with what if I lose any chance of fixing mother daughter relationship we had cos of MY selfishness?
Reply 14
Because I've put my mother through enough trauma of not doing as I'm told and then today I'm getting accused of being an abuse victim when it's just my mother wanting what's best for me knowing what's best for me and me being disrespectful and a selfish brat by persuing a career I want that she disagrees with what if I lose any chance of fixing mother daughter relationship we had cos of MY selfishness?

Why, as a 34yo adult, can you not decide what you want to do, instead of your mother?

You are a grown ass adult. You can do what you want with your life, you don't have to please your parents. It's a real shame you are being manipulated like this by your mother.

So you are gaslighting yourself right now. Your mother does not even have to be in the room anymore! She deliberately sabotaged you the last time you were in college and now you are doing the abusing for her by sabotaging yourself. Sooner or later you are going to need to go no contact and remove yourself completely from her influence. Until you do that, you will never achieve your dreams.

And, yes, we are in a cost of living crisis, which is why it is more important than ever to grab onto any opportunities that are extended to you to help you improve your odds in life. If you think a minimum wage job will make it easy to pay the bills, then you are deluding yourself. It is time to wake up.

I speak as a victim of abuse by my own mother. My life only became my own once I cut off all contact and was finally free to pursue my own life goals without being constantly sabotaged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending