The Student Room Group

Self-Service Account Glitch and Getting Help

This is going to be a long story but I am growing increasingly anxious and don't know how to get help - any advice would be appreciated.

I will be a postgraduate completing the MPhil in English Studies this October.

I met all my offer conditions before the 31st of July and they even disappeared from my self service account before the deadline.

Despite this, I received an email from my college's (Clare) accommodation office saying:

'As your admission has not been confirmed by the University’s Postgraduate Admissions Office by 31 July 2023, we have now released the room and entered your accommodation application into the August round. You do not need to resubmit another application and we will take the date of your initial application into account when allocating rooms. We will confirm your accommodation once the University confirms that you have met the conditions of your offer. Last year we managed to offer all incoming postgraduate students a room in the end.'

I have done everything required of me and met all requirements so I cannot understand why my accommodation has been released. I feel this is very unfair. I explained this to them, and they replied:

'I am sorry to hear that you are worried about your accommodation. Rest assured, releasing your pre-allocated room does not mean you have lost accommodation at Clare. We will reallocate you once your admission has been confirmed.

From your email, it seems there is a system error in the admission portal. I hope it will get sorted soon, and our Accommodation team will be able to confirm with you once your approval has been updated.'Naturally, I am disappointed and confused by this. It is out of my hands, and yet I am being penalised for it? I want the room that was allocated for me, not to be reallocated. None of this was my fault.I have since asked who I should contact about the glitch I am not sure if anyone is aware of this(!) but have received no reply. I have also entered a forum request on the postgrad admissions website but no reply.I am very stressed about this situation and really wanted the accommodation originally given to me as it was so close to my department. Any advice would be helpful as this is going to effect me largely.
Reply 1
Hi,
Sorry to be unhelpful, just dropping a line to say I was in a similar situation (diff college though - Hughes hall). They told me that they probably wouldn't have enough housing for me by the time I got all of my documents dealt with so I ended up going the private housing route, only to just two days ago get the original room I'd applied for once PAO finally fixed my status. Had already signed lease though, and got a good deal on rent so - oh well.

The emails you describe so far seem like good signs, but I empathize about the nightmare of dealing with unresponsive people on email - such a nightmare to be waiting and waiting. I hope it gets sorted out soon for you. I had more luck sticking with emailing people within a college - the official university email inboxes were close to worthless when it came to responsiveness. Once you get a real person to email with it seems that communication gets much faster.

(I found your post, though, looking for other people doing English mPhils next year! I don't really know how this site works but message me or whatever if you want to meet someone else on your course :smile:)
Reply 2
Original post by FrancesL
Hi,
Sorry to be unhelpful, just dropping a line to say I was in a similar situation (diff college though - Hughes hall). They told me that they probably wouldn't have enough housing for me by the time I got all of my documents dealt with so I ended up going the private housing route, only to just two days ago get the original room I'd applied for once PAO finally fixed my status. Had already signed lease though, and got a good deal on rent so - oh well.

The emails you describe so far seem like good signs, but I empathize about the nightmare of dealing with unresponsive people on email - such a nightmare to be waiting and waiting. I hope it gets sorted out soon for you. I had more luck sticking with emailing people within a college - the official university email inboxes were close to worthless when it came to responsiveness. Once you get a real person to email with it seems that communication gets much faster.

(I found your post, though, looking for other people doing English mPhils next year! I don't really know how this site works but message me or whatever if you want to meet someone else on your course :smile:)

Hello!! So nice to hear from someone doing English too! Thank you for dropping a message!

Firstly, sorry to hear that you had those difficulties. At least you've got a good deal on rent - probably the smarter option in retrospect!

The matter has been passed onto a different person now as the original lady is on holiday, and they've essentially told me 'it is what it is'. Fingers crossed though that, like you, they can offer me the original room in the August round (not sure when this is though tbh).

I'm glad you found me! I will try to DM you, but TSR will not let me DM yet as I haven't made enough posts - so bear with, and we can chat! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending