The Student Room Group

University Offer

Hello,

I am a recent Access to HE graduate. I have had an offer from Durham University to study Law since May 2023. The offer was conditional on me achieving at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit. I have managed to achieve 39 credits at Distinction and 6 credits at Merit. This may sound like a weird question, but I wanted to know if I have actually met the conditions and I am guaranteed an acceptance or if my results are not sufficient to the offer?
Original post by TyleratLaw
Hello,

I am a recent Access to HE graduate. I have had an offer from Durham University to study Law since May 2023. The offer was conditional on me achieving at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit. I have managed to achieve 39 credits at Distinction and 6 credits at Merit. This may sound like a weird question, but I wanted to know if I have actually met the conditions and I am guaranteed an acceptance or if my results are not sufficient to the offer?

Have you checked the exact wording of your offer? Their web site says "At least 30 level 3 credits at Distinction and in addition at least 15 level 3 credits at a minimum of merit" (my emphasis).

So once we "consume" 30 of your 39 Distinction credits to meet the "At least 30 level 3 credits at Distinction" part of the requirement you have 9 Distinction and 6 Merit credits left. That certainly sounds like "in addition at least 15 level 3 credits at a minimum of merit" to me.

I'd be surprised if they claim you haven't met your offer conditions.
Reply 2
@DataVenia

Thank you for getting back to me.

I would also be surprised if I have not met the conditions because as you said I have 9 credits above the minimum of merit or in other words 9 extra credits at Distinction, which would mean I have actually exceeded the conditions of the offer.

I guess I am just slightly overthinking it out of worry, especially if I am competing against A-level results. Then again, if the university has offered me a place providing I meet the conditions I'm pretty sure they are obliged to accept my offer if I have clearly exceeded it. I could be wrong.

I know that Durham is quite accepting to alternative routes into higher education, or at least have been in the past couple years.
Original post by TyleratLaw
@DataVenia

Thank you for getting back to me.

I would also be surprised if I have not met the conditions because as you said I have 9 credits above the minimum of merit or in other words 9 extra credits at Distinction, which would mean I have actually exceeded the conditions of the offer.

I guess I am just slightly overthinking it out of worry, especially if I am competing against A-level results. Then again, if the university has offered me a place providing I meet the conditions I'm pretty sure they are obliged to accept my offer if I have clearly exceeded it. I could be wrong.

I know that Durham is quite accepting to alternative routes into higher education, or at least have been in the past couple years.

They are indeed obliged to confirm your place if you have met the conditions of a conditional offer - which we both think you have.

You will likely have to wait until next Thursday (A level results day), when the UCAS embargo ends, to have that fact officially confirmed via UCAS Hub.
Reply 4
You have exceeded your offer. If you were given an offer conditional on AAA and you got A*AA, they wouldn't say you haven't met your offer. It's the same scenario here.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Reply 5
@DCDCo

Thank you so much and I managed to get the place at Durham!

I also hope this thread helps anyone else out who might be wondering the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending