The Student Room Group

Loose stools

Why do I have loose stools most of the time ? Every morning I get the urge to use the toilet and my bowel movements always seem to be really loose and easy to pass I've no other symptoms and don't feel ill just wondered why this is happening??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It could be due to many reasons from Stress to something different so best option is to check with a GP Sooner.
Reply 2
Original post by DCHIL
It could be due to many reasons from Stress to something different so best option is to check with a GP Sooner.

Thankyou for the reply I haven't been to the doctors as I thought it was nothing. Been going on a while now though and just wondered if it was normal as I only go 2 - 3 times a day but its always loose after eating anything.
Reply 3
Rather than you think and worry better to check with experts
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Why do I have loose stools most of the time ? Every morning I get the urge to use the toilet and my bowel movements always seem to be really loose and easy to pass I've no other symptoms and don't feel ill just wondered why this is happening??

Could be down to many different factors that you having constant loose stools.
I could name a list full of what it could be but I I will leave it to your own GP to find the cause of this for you.

Best thing is to arrange an appointment with your GP and discuss this with them and hopefully they will reassure you with what is wrong.

Hopefully your GP will help you with getting this sorted out.

NHS nurse ( midwife).
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Could be down to many different factors that you having constant loose stools.
I could name a list full of what it could be but I I will leave it to your own GP to find the cause of this for you.

Best thing is to arrange an appointment with your GP and discuss this with them and hopefully they will reassure you with what is wrong.

Hopefully your GP will help you with getting this sorted out.

NHS nurse ( midwife).

Thankyou I'm going to see if it improves in the next week or two. I wouldn't say it was constant as I'm not going all day just that when I do go it's loose most of the time , maybe this is normal?
What's your diet like? Have you just started uni and started eating differently than you did at home, for example?
Honestly, GP is your best bet. Could be a food intolerance, IBS, stress/anxiety, lots of things. But the GP can work it out, along with ruling out anything nasty (which is thankfully very rare).
Reply 7
I would say my diet is pretty good nothing has really changed I eat similar foods to what I always have done. Just seems the last couple of months my stools have become more urgent mainly in a morning and my stomach just feels upset but it normally feels better after 2 - 3 bowel movements maybe its linked to stress/ibs could it be likely ?
Reply 8
Thankyou I'm going to see if it improves in the next week or two. I wouldn't say it was constant as I'm not going all day just that when I do go it's loose most of the time , maybe this is normal?

No worries ☺️

I would still suggest that you see your GP earlier than waiting to see if anything improves as that way you could have a answer hopefully. Nobody can tell you what is causing it as only your GP can give you that information.

I meant to mention previously that you should perhaps pop in to your local chemist and speak to the pharmacist and see what they can give you to help settle it.

Sometimes changes in what you eat can do that but there's also many more things it can be.
Reply 9
No worries ☺️

I would still suggest that you see your GP earlier than waiting to see if anything improves as that way you could have a answer hopefully. Nobody can tell you what is causing it as only your GP can give you that information.

I meant to mention previously that you should perhaps pop in to your local chemist and speak to the pharmacist and see what they can give you to help settle it.

Sometimes changes in what you eat can do that but there's also many more things it can be.

Thankyou for your help and advice hopefully I can get something to calm it down .
Reply 10
Thankyou for your help and advice hopefully I can get something to calm it down .

No worries 🙂

Let's know how you get on over the next few days once you hopefully get something from the chemist and if that doesn't work then seek medical advice from your GP.
Reply 11
No worries 🙂

Let's know how you get on over the next few days once you hopefully get something from the chemist and if that doesn't work then seek medical advice from your GP.

Thankyou 🙂
I have already decided to try a simple diet for the next few days and hopefully this will work . Had some slightly spicy food last night and woke up today with stomach cramps and passed really thin stool so it may be an intolerance to spicy food .
Unless there is a obvious reason such as recent lifestyle or diet change you could reverse, then The only sensible advice is consult a doctor
Reply 13
Thankyou 🙂
I have already decided to try a simple diet for the next few days and hopefully this will work . Had some slightly spicy food last night and woke up today with stomach cramps and passed really thin stool so it may be an intolerance to spicy food .

Spicy food late at night not good for your stomach as sleeping on it. That could be why you had stomach ache.

If you recently changed what foods you eat then it could be simple something like that.

I would still think you take advice from your GP unless you can relate to what may have started this off.
Reply 14
Spicy food late at night not good for your stomach as sleeping on it. That could be why you had stomach ache.

If you recently changed what foods you eat then it could be simple something like that.

I would still think you take advice from your GP unless you can relate to what may have started this off.

The stomach ache started this morning but felt better after going to the toilet a couple of times. The thing is I never have problems any other time only in a morning after waking up . Going to see how things are this week and try eating earlier in the evening
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
Unless there is a obvious reason such as recent lifestyle or diet change you could reverse, then The only sensible advice is consult a doctor

Thankyou I am going to do if things don't improve this week as I said I'm not poorly just fed up with having the runs nearly every morning when I wake up. My diet hasn't changed much I have noticed I'm always worse after spicy food but most of the time it's loose from whatever I've had.
Reply 16
Update- been feeling a little better this last couple of days tried eating plain foods and drinking plenty of water as recommended and it seemed to have helped. I was still slightly loose this morning and passed 2 bowel movements but didn't feel the same urgency hopefully continues to improve .
Reply 17
Update- been feeling a little better this last couple of days tried eating plain foods and drinking plenty of water as recommended and it seemed to have helped. I was still slightly loose this morning and passed 2 bowel movements but didn't feel the same urgency hopefully continues to improve .

Cheers for update.

Sounds like things are starting hopefully improving for you.
Just continue with what you are doing for time being and eventually try to eat normally to allow you to start having normal bowel movements.

You should perhaps get a packet of tablets ( something like Imodium which you can buy over the counter at any chemist as they will settle things). Just keep them handy for future issues.
Reply 18
Thankyou for all the advice going to try some imodium and hopefully they will help in the future .
Reply 19
Thankyou for all the advice going to try some imodium and hopefully they will help in the future .

Hope that everyone will settle down for you and you won't get any more problems 🙏

Remember don't take the imodium all the time as take them until you feel better and if you unfortunately be more diarrhoea etc just take them until it clears up okay 👍👍👍

Quick Reply

Latest