The Student Room Group

Am I considered a home student for university in the UK?

I have researched about this & most articles have been saying I either need to be residing in the UK 3 years prior to the start of my university course with a UK nationality, or be residing 3 years in the UK prior to the start of the course regardless of nationality.

I moved to the UK on September 30th, 2022
Reply 1
I have researched about this. Some articles seem to say that one is considered a home student if they have been residing in the UK 3 years prior to the start of their course while being a UK national, while others seem to say that one is considered a home student if they have been residing in the UK 3 years prior to the start of their course regardless of nationality.

Am I eligible for loans? If so, what amount?

I moved to the UK on the 30th of September, 2022.
Hi there. What is your nationality and do you have settled or pre-settled status? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 3
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. What is your nationality and do you have settled or pre-settled status? Thanks, Leah.

We have neither settled nor pre settled status. I am a Pakistani.
Original post by bluedoor7563
We have neither settled nor pre settled status. I am a Pakistani.
Hi there,

What status do you hold in the UK? Are you looking to apply for an undergraduate course?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

What status do you hold in the UK? Are you looking to apply for an undergraduate course?

Thanks,
Claire

My mother was on a student visa which has now turned into a post graduate visa, and I am here as her dependent. I am looking to apply to undergraduate courses.

Thank you.
Hi bluedoor7563,

We are unable to award any funding for a Rest of the World national who is a dependent on someone with a study visa. If you are a Pakistani national you would need to have Indefinite Leave to Remain before we can consider you eligible for funding.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi bluedoor7563,

We are unable to award any funding for a Rest of the World national who is a dependent on someone with a study visa. If you are a Pakistani national you would need to have Indefinite Leave to Remain before we can consider you eligible for funding.

Thanks,
Calum

Does that mean I will be considered an international student for funding? Will I be eligible to take loans? To my understanding people pay those loans over the course of their career.

Thanks.
Hi bluedoor7563,

This means that you will not be eligible for any loans from Student Finance England currently. You will need to speak to the university to find out what fees status they designate you as.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending