The Student Room Group

How do I confirm my anxiety diagnosis?

I am currently applying to University and I want to inform them about my anxiety, but they need evidence of a diagnosis before I can do this.

The thing is, I’m not sure if I have a diagnosis. All of my friends (and my Mum) think I do as around two years ago, I was prescribed medication from my local NHS doctor to deal with it (propranolol) which I am still on today. In addition to this, I have had meetings with CAMHS about my anxiety…

However, I’m not sure… I’m worried that if I just assume I’m diagnosed and ask for my letter of diagnosis and then it turns out I’m not, it will greatly impede my chances of actually getting a diagnosis.

If you know anything that can help me, please tell me… :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Caitllewellin
I am currently applying to University and I want to inform them about my anxiety, but they need evidence of a diagnosis before I can do this.

The thing is, I’m not sure if I have a diagnosis. All of my friends (and my Mum) think I do as around two years ago, I was prescribed medication from my local NHS doctor to deal with it (propranolol) which I am still on today.

However, I’m not sure… I’m worried that if I just assume I’m diagnosed and ask for my letter of diagnosis and then it turns out I’m not, it will greatly impede my chances of actually getting a diagnosis.

If you know anything that can help me, please tell me… :smile:

If you log onto your NHS app or my patient or which ever your surgery uses (if you havnt set it up its easy, just ask at your surgery reception) and that has all your medical conditions, then you can ask for a letter of diagnosis from that knowledge.
Reply 2
Original post by PonchoKid
If you log onto your NHS app or my patient or which ever your surgery uses (if you havnt set it up its easy, just ask at your surgery reception) and that has all your medical conditions, then you can ask for a letter of diagnosis from that knowledge.

I have already checked, there is nothing there bar the medication I’m receiving- does this mean that I don’t have a diagnosis? (I am currently under 18)
Reply 3
Original post by Caitllewellin
I have already checked, there is nothing there bar the medication I’m receiving- does this mean that I don’t have a diagnosis? (I am currently under 18)

Yeah if its not there under "problems" then it may not be diagnosed, but if you ring reception they may be able to double check im not sure, but it wont negatively affect if you did seek a diagnosis.

But if your just applying i dont think they need confirmation of a diagnosis yet. I dont recall having to prove my Bipolar diagnosis until i got a place and applied for DSA then went through the disability service at uni for more support.
Reply 4
Original post by PonchoKid
Yeah if its not there under "problems" then it may not be diagnosed, but if you ring reception they may be able to double check im not sure, but it wont negatively affect if you did seek a diagnosis.

But if your just applying i dont think they need confirmation of a diagnosis yet. I dont recall having to prove my Bipolar diagnosis until i got a place and applied for DSA then went through the disability service at uni for more support.

Thank you so much! You’ve really helped me out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest