The Student Room Group

I initially began my research with a focus on the impact of legalization on the UK ec

I initially began my research with a focus on the impact of legalization on the UK economy and its connection to gang problems. However, I've encountered challenges in finding substantial research in this area. It could be due to a lack of available information, or perhaps I'm uncertain about how to approach the topic effectively. I'm struggling to refine my research question or decide whether to stick with my current title, as I'm unsure how to address it through thorough research.
Reply 1
Original post by fuhking
I initially began my research with a focus on the impact of legalization on the UK economy and its connection to gang problems. However, I've encountered challenges in finding substantial research in this area. It could be due to a lack of available information, or perhaps I'm uncertain about how to approach the topic effectively. I'm struggling to refine my research question or decide whether to stick with my current title, as I'm unsure how to address it through thorough research.

It might be worth going back to the drawing board a little. The title should be the last thing that comes out of the research, it shouldnt lead it. Instead you should be reading the research first seeing what gaps there are and then coming up with some research to try and answer or bridge this gap.

It also depends on what type of research you are doing. I am unsure if you are doing a new piece of research or a literature review (i assume its the latter). Getting a question is where to start, but you need to think about how to operationalise it, as in what terms you need to use, inclusion, exclusion criteria, where to search (what online journals/databases etc). This will help you when you finally go to investigate. If you have already done all this and come up with nothing, this indicates either a huge gap in the research (which could be good, but will mean you would need to swap from a systematic review to something like a scoping review) or you need to broaden your search criteria etc.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending