The Student Room Group

need help getting tested for ADHD/Autism/

I'm currently 17 and in year 13. I've wanted to get tested for signs of neurodiversity for a while after I became eligible for access arrangements at my school last year as I think it might have something to do with that. And even more so recently after finding out from my parents that my primary school teacher actually recommended i get tested. (actually she kinda just called me slow but still) For some additional context in primary I spent most of my free time (in school) alone, typically doing school work of some sort rather than socializing with other kids which a few of my teachers picked up on and put me in this extra class with other kids who had extra needs. Ofc I could have been put in there accidentally but there's too many coincidences.
The slight problem is my parents are very traditional/religious so they take these comments very negatively, and are refusing to help.
Every time I asked my Dad he just told me to just go to my school so I'm wondering if speaking to an appropriate teacher at school would really help? Do they have the authority to help me get tested or would I need parental approval/reference?
(Note: Obviously I understand that there is a chance I don't have anything, which will bring me back to where I was at the start, which is fine, but if there's a chance that isn't the case then I'd rather not wait any longer than I have to. I've checked symptoms and most of them line up with ADHD, I kinda feel like its not just a "quirk" of mine.)
Reply 1
Your school can refer you to CAMHS for an assessment, so yes, that is one way of doing it. The other option is to speak to your GP.

If your dad has told you to speak to the school (as opposed to telling you not to do anything),sounds like he has given his consent, no? But you are over 16 so my understanding is that you do not net need parental consent.
(edited 3 months ago)
Good luck getting tested for that on the NHS especially if you're vaguely affected.
It will help if you look at your symptoms and get evidence so they can't fob you off as easily.

Quick Reply

Latest