The Student Room Group

Disability support: when?

I'm applying to university this year. Due to some disabilities I require exam access arrangements and a specific type of accommodation (being intentionally vague as I'm sort of embarrassed about my conditions). I am able to get evidence for all of these, but around what stage in/after the application process do I go about informing the unis about this and providing said evidence? Also, when do I begin the process of applying for DSA?

TIA
Applying for DSA generally occurs when you apply for the other students finance stuff.

When you disclose disability can vary. If there is a possibility of entrance exams you will need accommodations for, or you may need contextual understanding of past grades. I would recommend ticking it in your UCAS application.

Once you have offers / confirmed offers, have chosen first or second options, or as soon as they start asking about accommodation I would tell them about the living space needs you have. It may even be worth checking before hand. But the earlier you give them notice, the fewer excuses they can give about not having time to sort it.

Contacting potential universities' disability departments about what kind of processes to expect early on is also a really good idea. It allows you and them to be as prepared as possible.

Hope this helped.
Reply 2
Original post by Fibonacci28
Applying for DSA generally occurs when you apply for the other students finance stuff.

When you disclose disability can vary. If there is a possibility of entrance exams you will need accommodations for, or you may need contextual understanding of past grades. I would recommend ticking it in your UCAS application.

Once you have offers / confirmed offers, have chosen first or second options, or as soon as they start asking about accommodation I would tell them about the living space needs you have. It may even be worth checking before hand. But the earlier you give them notice, the fewer excuses they can give about not having time to sort it.

Contacting potential universities' disability departments about what kind of processes to expect early on is also a really good idea. It allows you and them to be as prepared as possible.

Hope this helped.

Hi, I will be ticking it in my UCAS application as I'm taking an admissions test with access arrangements anyways. Will they send me anything asking about the sort of support I need as a result of this or do I have to initiate? I'm just trying to make sure I know how to do everything as I'm starting my application on Monday.
Reply 3
You typically have to give a little detail or your disability. For mine it would say that i suffer from knee pains and they could dislocate. The uni disability services will them typically email you either before or after they give you an offer and ask what support you need. If you don’t get an email, then reach out to them.
I am applying to uni as well this year, entry 2024.
Reply 4
Original post by CatLover1
You typically have to give a little detail or your disability. For mine it would say that i suffer from knee pains and they could dislocate. The uni disability services will them typically email you either before or after they give you an offer and ask what support you need. If you don’t get an email, then reach out to them.
I am applying to uni as well this year, entry 2024.

Thanks! Also, excessively dislocating joint squad 🤝
Reply 5
😂👍

Quick Reply

Latest