The Student Room Group

mid ucat score- dentistry 2024 entry

Hi I need some advice/second opinions.
I’m currently on a gap year and did my ucat to my disappointment I got 2630 band 2 despite me getting so much higher on all the practice mocks that I did .
I’m currently taking biology alevel in my gap year since I wasn’t able to change my subjects mid through the year so some unis already won’t accept me as I’m sitting my alevels within 3 years and not 2.
I don’t know if I should still bother applying for dentistry as I feel like my chances are too low since my ucat is no where near competitive as I’d like it to be but I’d appreciate if someone would advise me on what to do or if there’s any unis/chances of me being selected ? (no rude comments lol)
Original post by hachiobsessedd
Hi I need some advice/second opinions.
I’m currently on a gap year and did my ucat to my disappointment I got 2630 band 2 despite me getting so much higher on all the practice mocks that I did .
I’m currently taking biology alevel in my gap year since I wasn’t able to change my subjects mid through the year so some unis already won’t accept me as I’m sitting my alevels within 3 years and not 2.
I don’t know if I should still bother applying for dentistry as I feel like my chances are too low since my ucat is no where near competitive as I’d like it to be but I’d appreciate if someone would advise me on what to do or if there’s any unis/chances of me being selected ? (no rude comments lol)

Hi I would say your score is not that bad and is good that you got band 2. Your options are limited but you can apply stratigically to liverpool, cardiff, dundee and maybe plymouth?
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi I would say your score is not that bad and is good that you got band 2. Your options are limited but you can apply stratigically to liverpool, cardiff, dundee and maybe plymouth?

Thank you sm for the suggestions ! Unfortunately I can’t apply to Liverpool bc when I called them they said they wouldn’t accept me due to me not sitting bio within the two years :frown:
But would Leeds be a good option too do u think ? Idk bc there’s so much uncertainty on the ucat scores leeds would accept so it’s a bit risky
Original post by hachiobsessedd
Thank you sm for the suggestions ! Unfortunately I can’t apply to Liverpool bc when I called them they said they wouldn’t accept me due to me not sitting bio within the two years :frown:
But would Leeds be a good option too do u think ? Idk bc there’s so much uncertainty on the ucat scores leeds would accept so it’s a bit risky

Happy to help!:smile:
So for the other unis I think they are a bit risky to apply eg bristol has 2850+ cutoff, manchester has 2800+, sheffield-birmingham-newcastle have 2700+, london unis have 2700+.
I think Leeds will be holistic for the first year using the ucat. I worths applying even though they might get lots of applications.
Also, how about queen's belfast? I dont think they operate a ucat cutoff.
Yes I’ve looked into queens Belfast and it looks like another good option !
However I’m a bit unsure about Plymouth as their cutoff last year was higher than usual so I feel like it’d also be another risky option

Quick Reply

Latest