The Student Room Group

Not coping with uni

Hi I go to Bristol uni and I'm in my final year. I'm really struggling with everything. I'm really struggling with my course and feel so dumb as it's the start and already am struggling and I don't know anyone on the course who I can ask for help and still waiting for my lecturer to reply to my email. I also don't really have people I can talk to outside of the course so I just spend most of the time crying in my room and just feel really lonely. I'm trying to tell myself I just have to get through this year but I just don't think I can.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I go to Bristol uni and I'm in my final year. I'm really struggling with everything. I'm really struggling with my course and feel so dumb as it's the start and already am struggling and I don't know anyone on the course who I can ask for help and still waiting for my lecturer to reply to my email. I also don't really have people I can talk to outside of the course so I just spend most of the time crying in my room and just feel really lonely. I'm trying to tell myself I just have to get through this year but I just don't think I can.

Does your course allow you to suspend your studies? I know a few people who took a year’s gap during their course for personal reasons.

If you don’t see the situation improving, it might be worth asking and taking a year out to clear your head and reassess whether you want to continue with your final year
You're in your final year! You're so nearly there! You got through your first two years and you have made it this far and you should genuinely feel so proud of yourself. As stated above, if it really does feel like too much for you to handle right now, reach out and see if it's possible to suspend your studies until you feel like you are in a place where you can finish the degree. What I would really urge you to do is seek counselling, whether that's through your GP or through your university, and see what kind of student support is out there for you.

Despite what you choose to do, you should be so proud of yourself. University is no joke! I hope you figure it out. <3
I'm on my fifth year and I feel incredibly stupid about just about anything as well. No clue how I am meant to pass this last course I have and then write my master's. Genuinely considering dropping out and getting a blue collar job for a year or two then come back and finish up.

Anon,

I think just being in final year makes everything feel a bit more daunting. It feels like your supposed to have it all together but instead you're wondering about how you are supposed to get everything done before the year is out. It can feel overwhelming, especially after a long summer!

Remember you have not been back long. Rather than thinking about the year, just focus on what you need to do today, this week or this month. This will help you not to feel overwhelmed by everything. It will take time to adjust to a new routine again and to make sense of your modules and the assessments. Give yourself time. It's a lot of information that you are trying to process, so for now just focus on reading ahead of lectures where possible and doing the immediate work. If there is something that's really confusing you, ask someone on your course. They might be just as confused as you are which might allay some of your concerns or be able to help you make sense of an assignment. If there is a group chat, don't be afraid to share with others. They might have tips or be able to point you in the right direction with work.

Don't be afraid to phone home and to share with someone. It's okay to get support and help. It doesn't have to be from people who are physically near you. I have a good friend who moved abroad a few years ago, but we video call each month and process life! It's so helpful to have the perspective of someone who knows me well but who is also away from it all, who can give me their opinion or take on something and who listens.
We all need to be heard. Are there support services at your university that you can make use of?

Try to be around people, even if just going to the library so that you are not spending all your time alone in your room. Sometimes being around others can take the edge off loneliness. Maybe find yourself a nice cafe and treat yourself to a nice hot drink and relax. You may be putting too much pressure on yourself and might need to do some things that you find relaxing to help you feel less stressed. You might need to add some rest to your schedule, if you're just trying to "do, do, do" or to "work, work, work" then try to make time for some of your hobbies. It's good to rest!

Do talk to your personal tutor. They will be able to answer questions that you have about this year and also be able to signpost you to helpful resources and provide you with support.

You are not alone, so do share with others.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 5

speak to your course rep and see if other people are struggling, apply for counselling for the loneliness as most unis offer personal support in some way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending