The Student Room Group

How do I get over my nerves about work?

I'm getting a job for the first time as I'm in uni and I found one that really suits me and is just 6 hours on a Sunday too but I haven't been able to bring myself to press the button and send my cv as I'm so nervous. I know it's totally normal to be a bit anxious but how do I just get over my nerves about doing something new and starting my first ever job? Also I feel a bit intimidated and I'm worried that I won't be good enough, are there any sort of tips that make a really good CV? (I've written my CV all ready but might make some changes)
Reply 1
It's great that you've found something that fits in with university and suits you. If it's a big company study their website to get a feel for the organisation and try to make your cv reflect skills that are requires for the job (examples of team work, initiative, that sort of thing) Reeds and other recruiters have sections on cv writing and may be worth a look.

It is important to take a pragmatic view to finding a job. You never know who else applies, and all you can do is do your best ad not take it personally if you don't get the job. The whole application process is useful experience.

Best of luck:smile:
Reply 2
These things are like jumping off a diving board, you just have to muster the courage and go for it. Everything will be fine and you get the benefits of some work experience and cash. As to the CV, my tips would be make it concise, include your qualification and a few relevant examples of your abilities and say in the statement at the top that you are hard working and reliable. Presuming it’s not a high powered job you are going for this is all that is needed. Good luck
Original post by DispiritedDream
I'm getting a job for the first time as I'm in uni and I found one that really suits me and is just 6 hours on a Sunday too but I haven't been able to bring myself to press the button and send my cv as I'm so nervous. I know it's totally normal to be a bit anxious but how do I just get over my nerves about doing something new and starting my first ever job? Also I feel a bit intimidated and I'm worried that I won't be good enough, are there any sort of tips that make a really good CV? (I've written my CV all ready but might make some changes)

Id go ahead and apply for it. If you get the job, once you have started and done a couple of shifts, then you will wonder what all the fuss and nervousness is all about.
Id make whatever changes you were going to make to your CV and for for it and apply.
Reply 4
By now, you might have submitted your CV and be well on your way to being offered a job. But as has been said, lots of people can apply for the same role: however perfect you would be for the job and however much you really want it, doesn't mean you can be successful all of the time. Keep trying! As for nerves, most people, however long they have been working, or however experienced they are, feel nervous when they apply for a new role. The same is true for feeling 'good enough' - when you do find a job, you will probably notice that one or two people are excellent, most people are ok-ish and a few people are downright terrible at their work. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending