The Student Room Group

Armed Forces and ADHD

I am currently aged 16 and just about to complete my GCSEs. I am predicted good grades (8s and 9s only), and plan to join either the RMC or Paras after finishing my A levels. However, I started taking stimulant based ADHD medication from a private diagnosis around 10 weeks ago now, and I have seen many posts about rejections from the armed forces as a result of ADHD. I just wanted to find out if it is possible for me to still join. I plan on stopping the medication after GCSEs, so I would be joining 2 years after the end of my medication. Other than ADHD, my health records are completely clear and I don't think I would otherwise fail the medicals. Does this mean I would be okay to join, or am I likely to be rejected?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Original post by luca.marcoz
I am currently aged 16 and just about to complete my GCSEs. I am predicted good grades (8s and 9s only), and plan to join either the RMC or Paras after finishing my A levels. However, I started taking stimulant based ADHD medication from a private diagnosis around 10 weeks ago now, and I have seen many posts about rejections from the armed forces as a result of ADHD. I just wanted to find out if it is possible for me to still join. I plan on stopping the medication after GCSEs, so I would be joining 2 years after the end of my medication. Other than ADHD, my health records are completely clear and I don't think I would otherwise fail the medicals. Does this mean I would be okay to join, or am I likely to be rejected?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

No-one can say. There are shades of ADHD and so each individual is assessed on a case by case basis. You can only get a certain answer once you've made an application and you go for the medical.
Reply 2
Original post by luca.marcoz
I plan on stopping the medication after GCSEs, so I would be joining 2 years after the end of my medication.

Always follow the advice of medical professionals on how long you need to take a course of prescription medication. DO NOT make your own decision on when and how to stop; there may be side effects to coming off it, no matter how you do it.

Quick Reply

Latest