The Student Room Group

Worth retaking A levels or is Foundation alright

I got my results today and I did abysmal because my mental health and physical health affected majority of the A level time period. But the grades are still pretty terrible. Anyways, I got places at foundation courses at Goldsmiths, University of Westminister and Kingston for Psychology which I was excited for since I at first was too anxious at the idea of retaking but now thinking about it I'm wondering if I should? Would it be more beneficial for me? I only found one forum discussing this from 9 years ago and I want to know if the general consensus has changed.
(edited 8 months ago)
Well done on the offers!
I do think its up to you. Retaking may improve grades and give you another chance at applying to your prefferred degree course. However it might not.
But a foundation place will secure you a place on a degree, move you forward instead of repeating what you have already done, and it will help prepare you for the degree.
Reply 2
Original post by totallyfine
Well done on the offers!
I do think its up to you. Retaking may improve grades and give you another chance at applying to your prefferred degree course. However it might not.
But a foundation place will secure you a place on a degree, move you forward instead of repeating what you have already done, and it will help prepare you for the degree.

Thank you!
I feel as if I retook it I could be getting higher grades but how much higher and if it's even worth it is conflicting me. I was always told the degree grade you get will be more beneficial in the long run, more than A Levels so I don't know if I should work hard towards that or redo....But thank you for your insight still!
It is true that your A level grades are pretty much only about getting you to the next step. I would agree that in the end, the most imporatant thing is the quality of your degree grade and any work experience you collect along the way. And also that you enjoy what you do.
If it was me, I'd be looking at the foundation courses.. and the modules of the degree courses they lead to.
Original post by mimawian
Thank you!
I feel as if I retook it I could be getting higher grades but how much higher and if it's even worth it is conflicting me. I was always told the degree grade you get will be more beneficial in the long run, more than A Levels so I don't know if I should work hard towards that or redo....But thank you for your insight still!

It is really down to you. The things you need to know about foundation years
They are generally not transferable. Most universities wont accept anothers so if you do one expect to do your degree there not anyone else.
A foundation year classes as your bonus years.
It is an extra years funding so is costly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending