The Student Room Group

Nursing student workload

How many hours do student nurses set aside for independent learning? How do you balance this with placements?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Dreamsandwishes
How many hours do student nurses set aside for independent learning? How do you balance this with placements?
Thanks

Im probablh not the best person to anser this, but when were in uni i set 1 day aside a week where i go up to uni and do my assignments. I try to get them dont before i go out on placements, but this block of placement it wont be possible. But until i find out where my placement is, im either hoping i can set time aside at placement to do my assignments, or will have to set a day off aside.
Its hard though, especially as a mature student.
Reply 2
Thanks

Set aside as much time as possible to do your nursing coursework at home as you can't afford to fall behind with anything because it will be difficult to try to catch up with things - you'll be depending on your fellow course mates to provide you with the coursework you are missing.

On placements you should be taking notes down when possible as have a pocket notepad in your uniform pocket and when possible note what you done down and ask the qualified nurses stuff as well, when you get the first opportunity transfer everything you noted down into your A4 notebook or PC. Everything you write down will be required at some point during your three years as a student nurse ( perhaps for assignments, essays or exams) , keep it all together throughout your nursing degree as you will need it all eventually. It helps you look back at it if you forgotten something.

I would suggest you write anything up that you noted down during your daily shift the following day ( if you are not on shift again) while you have it fresh in your mind still.
University workload you should try and do it after finishing university for the day.

I never went out for nights out until I have completed my coursework/ workload as I couldn't afford to try to catch up with things. I done a very highly competitive degree in midwifery.

A NHS registered midwife.
Thanks

Hey!

I am a child nursing student at ARU . We have online resources that tell us how many hours of independent learning are required for each module so that assists with knowing what time we need. I tend to do independent learning each day, some days a little more than others. Once you have done it for a little while you get into a routine of it. I also multi-task it if i am super busy! I do some work on my breaks during placement and i get the bus there and back so do work then. As placement is 3 days a week it means 4 days free so i do 3 days independet learning and one day relaxing. DIfferent routines and schedules work for different people, it is about finding what works best for you.

Best of luck!
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending