The Student Room Group

Second Degree - Distance Learning

Hello,

I am looking to do a second degree in BSc Computer Science (distance learning) and would like to know my options on funding if I were to do this either Full-Time or Part-Time.

So my 1st question is, if I decided to do this full-time, what funding am I eligible to get?

And my 2nd question is, if I decided to do this part-time, what funding am I eligible to get?

Thank you so much in advance.
All distance learning is classed as part time for funding purposes even if you study at 100% intensity. Distance learning courses aren’t eligible for maintenance funding so whatever intensity you would only be eligible for a tuition fee loan
Original post by Topnotchh
Hello,

I am looking to do a second degree in BSc Computer Science (distance learning) and would like to know my options on funding if I were to do this either Full-Time or Part-Time.

So my 1st question is, if I decided to do this full-time, what funding am I eligible to get?

And my 2nd question is, if I decided to do this part-time, what funding am I eligible to get?

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Topnotchh,

Computer Science courses are an exception to previous study rules if it is part time, however as you mentioned you will be distance learning, this is generally part time funded. You would be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan for this course type, as long as you meet all other eligibility criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

Thanks, Clare
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Topnotchh,

Computer Science courses are an exception to previous study rules if it is part time, however as you mentioned you will be distance learning, this is generally part time funded. You would be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan for this course type, as long as you meet all other eligibility criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

Thanks, Clare

Thank you for your response. Just another question please…

Since I will be doing distance learning does it matter if I do it full-time or part-time since the loan will be a part-time loan regardless of the length of time I take?

So what I’m essentially asking is, can I do the distant learning course full-time and still get funded? Or will I HAVE to do it part-time to be eligible?
Thank you for your response. Just another question please…

Since I will be doing distance learning does it matter if I do it full-time or part-time since the loan will be a part-time loan regardless of the length of time I take?

So what I’m essentially asking is, can I do the distant learning course full-time and still get funded? Or will I HAVE to do it part-time to be eligible?

Hi Topnotchh,

It needs to be part time to be classed as an exception.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 5
I have received an offer from the university and I am now trying to apply for student finance online. However when it asks me about my previous study, I select that I have a previous honours degree it is pops up with the following message:

"As you have previously studied a Degree with honours (Hons) you are not eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan or a loan for living costs with us."

However I am applying for a part-time Computer Science degree which is an exception?
I have received an offer from the university and I am now trying to apply for student finance online. However when it asks me about my previous study, I select that I have a previous honours degree it is pops up with the following message:

"As you have previously studied a Degree with honours (Hons) you are not eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan or a loan for living costs with us."

However I am applying for a part-time Computer Science degree which is an exception?

Hi there,

We would advise to submit the application if you haven't already then contact us so we can check this for you. You can use the live chat option online in your account or call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can check this for you.

Thanks
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending