The Student Room Group

Advice on how to catch up in year 12?

I have fallen behind in my a-levels due to mental health and personal reasons but I want to get back on track and catch up. I do biology, psychology and English lit. Does anyone have any advice on how I can do this, and how can I manage keeping on top of current content while also going back on older stuff? How can I best make use of my time? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by user01906002
I have fallen behind in my a-levels due to mental health and personal reasons but I want to get back on track and catch up. I do biology, psychology and English lit. Does anyone have any advice on how I can do this, and how can I manage keeping on top of current content while also going back on older stuff? How can I best make use of my time? Thank you

Hey. I’m also a year 12 student studying maths, further maths, economics and computer who just missed out on a week of school. Heres what I did/do to catch up when I’m behind

-Speak to my teachers and get all the work I’ve missed out on
-(Important) Create an importantcy list with all the topics you’ve missed out on
- Go through each topic, starting with the thing you missed out on first and make sure you have every detail of it covered, as your teaching won’t be going over it again for the time being. A good way to do this is (online) flashcards and a whiteboard. Just vigorous active recall. As your subjects are humanities, it should be relatively easy to make ur flashcards on definitions and key points / quotes?
- As for the new content currently being taught, make vauge flashcards after each lesson so when it does come round to studying for it, you’ll have the platform ready
- Spaced repetition is the best way to lock content into ur long term memory. Don’t just go over the flashcards for the topic once, wait a few hours then do it again. Then a day and do it again. Also, very important, even if it’s dead easy make sure you WRITE OUT THE ANSWER FOR EACH QUESTION.
- You’ll be fine, just a week or 2 of xtra grinding. Dont burn urself out either, that’s not worth it

Quick Reply

Latest