The Student Room Group

Ex I’m on good terms with wants to break friendship bc I’m not ready to hang out irl

We broke up a few months ago and chose to still remain as friends. We’ve been chatting online and occasionally talking over the phone but recently he says he wanted to meet up. I felt quite confused emotionally bc I’m still in somewhat of a grieving process and emotionally turbulent and I’m concerned hanging out will cause things to well up again. So I told him at first I might be willing, but then changed my mind and told him I’m not ready yet- and his response was that maybe it won’t work out as friends between us either. Tbf he’s going through a bit of a rough patch too atm for other reasons than this, and I feel bad that I can’t be the support he needs as a friend- and I know I don’t owe it to him but he’s been supportive towards me when I needed a shoulder to rely on so I feel guilty that I can’t reciprocate in some way.
Original post by Anonymous
We broke up a few months ago and chose to still remain as friends. We’ve been chatting online and occasionally talking over the phone but recently he says he wanted to meet up. I felt quite confused emotionally bc I’m still in somewhat of a grieving process and emotionally turbulent and I’m concerned hanging out will cause things to well up again. So I told him at first I might be willing, but then changed my mind and told him I’m not ready yet- and his response was that maybe it won’t work out as friends between us either. Tbf he’s going through a bit of a rough patch too atm for other reasons than this, and I feel bad that I can’t be the support he needs as a friend- and I know I don’t owe it to him but he’s been supportive towards me when I needed a shoulder to rely on so I feel guilty that I can’t reciprocate in some way.

I understand how you feel because my ex and I of two years have also been trying to stay friends and just broke up a month ago and we're still figuring out boundaries and working through the emotions. You shouldn't feel guilty for needing space and wanting to protect your mental health when you're emotionally turbulent because you're right when emotions are heightened you might make decisions you'd regret. The new boundaries is something you both need to figure out and work on together, and if he cannot respect that you need some space right now then its not on you. You can still be friends and not always have each other to fall back on because you don't owe that to him. Tell him you support him and want to be there for him but you're not in the right mental space to do that right now and he should rely on other friends. I'm sorry you're going through that right now though and I hope things get better x
Saying you'll stay friends after a break up is common but the reality is a lot more difficult and often takes a while, as your ex can't be the friend that helps you through your breakup for one thing. It will often be a lot of water under the bridge before you could both be truly open with each other again without one or both of you having to fake it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I understand how you feel because my ex and I of two years have also been trying to stay friends and just broke up a month ago and we're still figuring out boundaries and working through the emotions. You shouldn't feel guilty for needing space and wanting to protect your mental health when you're emotionally turbulent because you're right when emotions are heightened you might make decisions you'd regret. The new boundaries is something you both need to figure out and work on together, and if he cannot respect that you need some space right now then its not on you. You can still be friends and not always have each other to fall back on because you don't owe that to him. Tell him you support him and want to be there for him but you're not in the right mental space to do that right now and he should rely on other friends. I'm sorry you're going through that right now though and I hope things get better x

Thankyou I appreciate it, I told him I’m not ready yet but he thinks it’s bc I'm not dealing with my pre existing mental health issues so he’s upset about that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending