The Student Room Group

It’s been 2 years and I’m still in love with him and can’t get over him

So

Context: there’s this boy - let’s call him X - who I sat next to in maths for 3 years. He and I became really close. He began to care for me, look after me, made sure I was always okay and happy. He even said to me ‘I love you’ a few times. We would text every day for 3 years and our conversations never felt dry or boring. He’s had 2 or 3 girlfriend in the past but they all broke up with him because he was still friends with me at that point and they all got jealous of me because I was his friend at that point. At the end of year 11, i think his feelings towards me because obvious to me - he held my hand, he had hugged me so tightly at prom (people were actually taking pictures of us hugging) and he asked me out on a date to my favourite restaurant. and I had just never liked someone like this before. But the reason why I couldn’t commit to him is because my mother is so strict, she’d crucify me if I dated him. He knew my mom was really strict and i had told him ages ago that I can only date in university.
I knew my mom wouldn’t let me go out with him and my feelings were getting stronger for him so I started to push him away a bit so that we’d hopefully stop liking each other and we were on and off talking. It didn’t work. It made me like him more. In year 12, he said he had a girlfriend. Obviously I wanted to act happy for him so I did. Even though he had a gf, at the start of year 12 he’d still with with me in my frees but I still pushed him away. I thought I couldn’t date anyway, so I might aswell focus on my alevels rather than mess around with some guy. We hadn’t spoken for months. So I texted him on his birthday saying happy birthday and he replied 3 days later. I was so upset. I was hoping for a text on my Birthday because he promised me that he’d never forget my Birthday and he didn’t text me.

I’m in year 13 now and I haven’t spoken to X in a whole year. Though I try to avoid it, I make the odd eye contact with him sometimes and it really hurts me. I know there’s something there I really can feel it. I’m talking to a different guy who I sit next to in biology, and he’s so sweet and so clever and we both want to do the same degree at university. I feel like we get along well. And I feel so so bad for him because even though it’s almost been 2 years since I talked to X, I think about him more often than I should. And X is appearing in my dreams on a daily basis I don’t like the feeling. I’ve tried so so hard to occupy myself from thinking about him. He still likes all my posts on social media.
I don’t get why I’m so drawn to X when the guy I’m talking to is even better than him. X was shorter than me and he wasn’t as clever as the guy I’m talking to. But honestly every day I think about X more, and it’s killing me. I can’t text him after 2 years I just can’t bring myself to do that. If I have the confidence, I might on the last day of year 13 as I’ll never have to see him again. But knowing me, I probably won’t do that either. I just feel something deep down inside of me. I really want to talk to him again, even as a friend for the comfort, but i know I can’t.
Reply 1
It really hurts me
Original post by Anonymous #1
So

Context: there’s this boy - let’s call him X - who I sat next to in maths for 3 years. He and I became really close. He began to care for me, look after me, made sure I was always okay and happy. He even said to me ‘I love you’ a few times. We would text every day for 3 years and our conversations never felt dry or boring. He’s had 2 or 3 girlfriend in the past but they all broke up with him because he was still friends with me at that point and they all got jealous of me because I was his friend at that point. At the end of year 11, i think his feelings towards me because obvious to me - he held my hand, he had hugged me so tightly at prom (people were actually taking pictures of us hugging) and he asked me out on a date to my favourite restaurant. and I had just never liked someone like this before. But the reason why I couldn’t commit to him is because my mother is so strict, she’d crucify me if I dated him. He knew my mom was really strict and i had told him ages ago that I can only date in university.
I knew my mom wouldn’t let me go out with him and my feelings were getting stronger for him so I started to push him away a bit so that we’d hopefully stop liking each other and we were on and off talking. It didn’t work. It made me like him more. In year 12, he said he had a girlfriend. Obviously I wanted to act happy for him so I did. Even though he had a gf, at the start of year 12 he’d still with with me in my frees but I still pushed him away. I thought I couldn’t date anyway, so I might aswell focus on my alevels rather than mess around with some guy. We hadn’t spoken for months. So I texted him on his birthday saying happy birthday and he replied 3 days later. I was so upset. I was hoping for a text on my Birthday because he promised me that he’d never forget my Birthday and he didn’t text me.

I’m in year 13 now and I haven’t spoken to X in a whole year. Though I try to avoid it, I make the odd eye contact with him sometimes and it really hurts me. I know there’s something there I really can feel it. I’m talking to a different guy who I sit next to in biology, and he’s so sweet and so clever and we both want to do the same degree at university. I feel like we get along well. And I feel so so bad for him because even though it’s almost been 2 years since I talked to X, I think about him more often than I should. And X is appearing in my dreams on a daily basis I don’t like the feeling. I’ve tried so so hard to occupy myself from thinking about him. He still likes all my posts on social media.
I don’t get why I’m so drawn to X when the guy I’m talking to is even better than him. X was shorter than me and he wasn’t as clever as the guy I’m talking to. But honestly every day I think about X more, and it’s killing me. I can’t text him after 2 years I just can’t bring myself to do that. If I have the confidence, I might on the last day of year 13 as I’ll never have to see him again. But knowing me, I probably won’t do that either. I just feel something deep down inside of me. I really want to talk to him again, even as a friend for the comfort, but i know I can’t.

Wow. I'm not a relationship expert but one thing I do know is beating around the bush or suppressing these feelings aren't going to help. Tell X how you feel. Communication is key. And it would also be weird if the new guy starts to really like you and you use him as a shield of some sorts. I don't think you're going to but it will save you a lot of heartache. Good luck, and Godspeed.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
So

Wow. I'm not a relationship expert but one thing I do know is beating around the bush or suppressing these feelings aren't going to help. Tell X how you feel. Communication is key. And it would also be weird if the new guy starts to really like you and you use him as a shield of some sorts. I don't think you're going to but it will save you a lot of heartache. Good luck, and Godspeed.

But wouldn’t it be weird telling X how I feel seeming as I:
1. Haven’t spoken to him in 2 years
2. He has a girlfriend who he’s been in a year relationship with ?
I agree with you, it’s unfair on the guy who I’m currently talking to. He reminds me of X. Not physically, but the way he texts me reminds me of X.
Maybe that’s what I don’t like the guy I’m talking to currently…

I agree with you, it’s unfair on the guy who I’m currently talking to. He reminds me of X. Not physically, but the way he texts me reminds me of X.
It would definitely be weird, but postponing it till the end of Year 13 would be even more akward. I guess I'm just trying to say that there is still time to fix things. Again, things might not go back to how they usually were, but you can look back and tell yourself that you gave it your best shot and hopefully have no regrets. You can also tell him that you're not looking to break his relationship or anything but it's been on your mind.
At the end of the day, it's all up to you. Not saying anything because he has a girlfriend is certainly something to be conscious about. I hope whatever pat you choose works out for you.
I lost my best friend in the whole world. I love her so much. But, she lives in the USA and she pulled away all at once, she could no longer deal with the distance between us, so she opted for zero contact.
I fought for us, but she wasn't interested.
I still dream about her, I still think of her daily and honestly, typing this short message is making me very emotional.

If there is the smallest chance that you can salvage your relationship with X, do it. These special people in your life don't come around often. Be respectful of his current relationship status, but tell him how you feel, get your friend back. Don't wait for some big milestone, just do it.
Good luck with things. I wish you all the best
Original post by Anonymous #3
I lost my best friend in the whole world. I love her so much. But, she lives in the USA and she pulled away all at once, she could no longer deal with the distance between us, so she opted for zero contact.
I still dream about her, I still think of her daily and honestly, typing this short message is making me very emotional.

If there is the smallest chance that you can salvage your relationship with X, do it. These special people in your life don't come around often. Be respectful of his current relationship status, but tell him how you feel, get your friend back. Don't wait for some big milestone, just do it.

I hope someone better comes your way, someone who is willing to fight just as hard as you have. A "ride or die" if you will. I'm not trying to diss your ex-friend as not everyone can handle long distance, I can't either. But, and I know this is going to sound corny, when one door closes, another one opens. Keep your heart open 😺. Good luck!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2

It would definitely be weird, but postponing it till the end of Year 13 would be even more akward. I guess I'm just trying to say that there is still time to fix things. Again, things might not go back to how they usually were, but you can look back and tell yourself that you gave it your best shot and hopefully have no regrets. You can also tell him that you're not looking to break his relationship or anything but it's been on your mind.
At the end of the day, it's all up to you. Not saying anything because he has a girlfriend is certainly something to be conscious about. I hope whatever pat you choose works out for you.

Do you think there’s a possibility that he likes me a little bit still?
I know he’s in a long relationship, and it’s my fault that I hold a grudge and I’m stubborn. I deliberately try not to look at him and I made sure I don’t talk to him even though he’s in one my my classes still. I’m such an idiot
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #3

Me and you both. Have you tried messaging her? And if so, what does she respond with?
When you say you ‘love’ your best friend, do you mean platonically - you love her so much as your friend? Or do you actually love her romantically ?

Do you think there’s a possibility that he likes me a little bit still?
I know he’s in a long relationship, and it’s my fault that I hold a grudge and I’m stubborn. I deliberately try not to look at him and I made sure I don’t talk to him even though he’s in one my my classes still. I’m such an idiot
Honestly, I don't know. Sometimes, we project our fantasies unto people that we really care about. And sometimes, those fantasies are actually real. Either way, you won't know until you've tried.
Me and you both. Have you tried messaging her? And if so, what does she respond with?
When you say you ‘love’ your best friend, do you mean platonically - you love her so much as your friend? Or do you actually love her romantically ?

We were a romantic couple for over 18 months and friends for a year before that.
She was my partner, but also my best friend. That love was there before the romantic relationship.
I've never been that close to a person before.

No, I've not tried messaging her in a little over 6 months, for many reasons.
1) She promised me we would be friends and proceeded to ignore me, not initiate conversations and then unfollowed/friended me on everything.
2) She was struggling because of the distance between us. I love her and want the best for her. Even though it is killing me inside, I know if I message her it will hurt her. Thats the last thing in the world I want.

The relationship was very complex and it wasn't easy. She just had enough of trying, which I respect. But it was so sudden.

Sorry if that is not the answer you were looking for.
Reply 11
And you were both what when this started, 15, 16? That's a school crush and not really an age when you have the experience and maturity to say you genuinely love someone. And if he did, why did he find other girlfriends and not wait for you? You haven't even stayed friends because neither of you can be bothered to communicate.

It's all very intense at that age, but the grass isn't always greener. Stop thinking 'what if' and concentrate on more important things, like your education.
So
I think he still has feelings for u because he likes every posts of you .... Communication is the key. So go talk to him and make things clear... Even not as u love him talk to him as u r friends... So that u can hide ur feelings and also talk to him daily as a friend.... I don't know anything it's just my opinion cause I am in same state as you ... Even I don't have courage to talk to him as friend,cause I love him i always ignore him(even now) knowing that our relationship never works as we r just 13...but he always tried to be in touch with me ..he even wished me on my birthday 6 days back .. I don't know if he likes me but he is my childhood crush ... Due to some arguments we never talked to eachother as before but I love him .. he is on my mind every single second ... I am trying to avoid him makes me feel stupid because I don't know what he thinks about me like I think he thinks that I hate him but no yaar I love him I just ignore him to hide my feelings... I was surprised that he wished me on my birthday like after 4 years(after we broke our friendship) I was over the moon that he wished me. I was soo happy but maybe in his mind I am just a friend who has stopped talking but for me I love him(he is on my mind every single time)..even he is the one who sent me follow request first on insta.. even I know his account but I didn't sent him because I don't have courage but he sent me I don't know why .. I think he likes me as a friend but I love .. I wonder when he will notices that....
Original post by Parkclarie
I think he still has feelings for u because he likes every posts of you .... Communication is the key. So go talk to him and make things clear... Even not as u love him talk to him as u r friends... So that u can hide ur feelings and also talk to him daily as a friend.... I don't know anything it's just my opinion cause I am in same state as you ... Even I don't have courage to talk to him as friend,cause I love him i always ignore him(even now) knowing that our relationship never works as we r just 13...but he always tried to be in touch with me ..he even wished me on my birthday 6 days back .. I don't know if he likes me but he is my childhood crush ... Due to some arguments we never talked to eachother as before but I love him .. he is on my mind every single second ... I am trying to avoid him makes me feel stupid because I don't know what he thinks about me like I think he thinks that I hate him but no yaar I love him I just ignore him to hide my feelings... I was surprised that he wished me on my birthday like after 4 years(after we broke our friendship) I was over the moon that he wished me. I was soo happy but maybe in his mind I am just a friend who has stopped talking but for me I love him(he is on my mind every single time)..even he is the one who sent me follow request first on insta.. even I know his account but I didn't sent him because I don't have courage but he sent me I don't know why .. I think he likes me as a friend but I love .. I wonder when he will notices that....
I don't know if I am going on the right path .. I don't know what to do.... And one more thing is that my best friend is friend of him which hurts me that he talks to her daily as before and closely but not with me....and what I was 9 we were same class and he was my bench mate .. he is very funny . It still hurts recalling my fun memories with him..we laughed together.. but a argument ruined our friendship...he is very joyful person he dos many jokes .. even now I laugh for his jokes silently... Because of him we r in touch now cause of his braveness... Even now we are in same school but different sections. My mom and his mom are friends so they both decided to put us in same school (including my best friend,3 members together) which made me even more exhausted like I see him in corridor and in school.. I hope he will go to another school so that I can move on ..or I wish that he could know about my feelings and he could ask me out when we turn 18..(currently am 13). But he is 2 months younger than me ...my love is one sided.. it will mark but never visibles..

Any suggestions???
Original post by Anonymous
So

16f, Ive had many guy friends that I've let go of, only one that interested me like that. Letting go for longer could either just mean he's completely out of your life or he's out of yours. Or maybe you'll still think about him for a few years even. Maybe see if he's still interested in being friends, I personally do not think being friends with a guy whilst he has a girlfriend is an issue. As long as you both respect each other's boundaries. He seems sweet and I also have strict parents. My younger sister is allowed to date etc but I'm not until I am 20.
In short, pop up in his life again and see if he truly is still interested in friendship, I know it feels off knowing he's with someone, but give it go! There's no point postponing it longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending