The Student Room Group

kinda panicking

I've received all my submissions from the first semester and I did alright in them, I received 2 2:1's, 2 2:2's and a 3rd - which i know isn't the best but for my first semester I'd take it. But, I also received a fail for a module which I'm absolutely terrified and shocked about. Even though it was worth 35%, i'm still in disbelief since that means i have to really try to receive a 2:2 and above in my next module or else i finish the year with a 3rd. I have emailed my lecturer and personal tutor for advice but I'm starting to think that i've picked the wrong course because of it. My first year doesn't count towards anything, not even the academic placements in third year but I'm still getting stressed about passing, especially in this module that i assumed i was doing quite well in. To sum it up, am I acc ****** and should i start looking for a different course?
Reply 1
Failure is part of learning and part of improvement. It'd be knee-jerk to change simply because of a couple of duff results. If you otherwise enjoy the course then it's simply a case of improving assessment techniques, and this can be done rapidly and to great effect if yu spend some time following feedback and doing additional stuff like going to library workshops, seeking guidance from staff in office hours etc.

Ultimately we can't tell you if the course is right for you.But a couple of duff results don't really mean much in isolation.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Failure is part of learning and part of improvement. It'd be knee-jerk to change simply because of a couple of duff results. If you otherwise enjoy the course then it's simply a case of improving assessment techniques, and this can be done rapidly and to great effect if yu spend some time following feedback and doing additional stuff like going to library workshops, seeking guidance from staff in office hours etc.

Ultimately we can't tell you if the course is right for you.But a couple of duff results don't really mean much in isolation.

I suppose you are right with the dramaticism in changing course because of bad results. I do enjoy the course a lot but I just didn't expect to receive that low of a mark. Of course this has given me a lot of motivation to do well in the next assessment that is worth 50%, but I didn't expect to actually be worried about passing first year.
Reply 3
Agree with everything @gjd800 says. The important thing here is to understand how the fail came about. Often it's due to stuff that could have been avoided, e.g. misreading the question, poor referencing, missing an important part of the assessment out. You can learn a lot from the feedback in terms of moving forwards.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
I suppose you are right with the dramaticism in changing course because of bad results. I do enjoy the course a lot but I just didn't expect to receive that low of a mark. Of course this has given me a lot of motivation to do well in the next assessment that is worth 50%, but I didn't expect to actually be worried about passing first year.

I think the main things to take away here are the following (I hope you agree!):

-You're in your first year, which for loads of students is a huge learning curve. There's a reason most places don't weight it, and you'd be surprised just how many students struggle really badly.

-You've shown in other units that you have the ability to do well! With my teacher/lecturer hat on, there's no reason for me to suspect you couldn't pull things back. If you were hitting thirds across the board, consistently, I might wonder if it was worth it. But you've just had a couple of bad days at the office.

-There is a head-on route you can take to address whatever the issues are that've stopped you achieving in these two units, and though this might be a bit daunting, it's also really reassuring - it's not an insurmountable disaster.

-You enjoy your course, which is maybe the single biggest plus, and which can give you oodles of motivation to get set straight the niggly little issues affecting your achievement.

Honestly, I'd not be panicking about this, but I do realise that's dead easy for me to say. I'd talk to your personal tutor.academic advisor in the first instance and see what they reckon about why you have fallen short of your own expectations in these units. There should be actionable feedback with which they can help. They can recommend changes, extra action etc that can get you to where you want to be.

So don't flap, don't give up on yourself, and don't be making any hasty decisions before you've talked it through.
I've received all my submissions from the first semester and I did alright in them, I received 2 2:1's, 2 2:2's and a 3rd - which i know isn't the best but for my first semester I'd take it. But, I also received a fail for a module which I'm absolutely terrified and shocked about. Even though it was worth 35%, i'm still in disbelief since that means i have to really try to receive a 2:2 and above in my next module or else i finish the year with a 3rd. I have emailed my lecturer and personal tutor for advice but I'm starting to think that i've picked the wrong course because of it. My first year doesn't count towards anything, not even the academic placements in third year but I'm still getting stressed about passing, especially in this module that i assumed i was doing quite well in. To sum it up, am I acc ****** and should i start looking for a different course?

Hi there,

Firstly, this is your first year, everything is new and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Secondly, I know that it can be nerve-wracking but I'd suggest going to your lecturer and personal tutors during office hours to talk things out properly. Finally, if the reason why you're not happy with your grades is because you don't like the course itself, then I understand considering other options. However, if you enjoy the content, and it is not being happy with your grades that makes you panic, then I suggest to keep trying. Of course, only you can make that choice.

I'm sorry that I can't help more but I hope that this gives you something to think about.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by gjd800

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by gjd800
I think the main things to take away here are the following (I hope you agree!):

-You're in your first year, which for loads of students is a huge learning curve. There's a reason most places don't weight it, and you'd be surprised just how many students struggle really badly.

-You've shown in other units that you have the ability to do well! With my teacher/lecturer hat on, there's no reason for me to suspect you couldn't pull things back. If you were hitting thirds across the board, consistently, I might wonder if it was worth it. But you've just had a couple of bad days at the office.

-There is a head-on route you can take to address whatever the issues are that've stopped you achieving in these two units, and though this might be a bit daunting, it's also really reassuring - it's not an insurmountable disaster.

-You enjoy your course, which is maybe the single biggest plus, and which can give you oodles of motivation to get set straight the niggly little issues affecting your achievement.

Honestly, I'd not be panicking about this, but I do realise that's dead easy for me to say. I'd talk to your personal tutor.academic advisor in the first instance and see what they reckon about why you have fallen short of your own expectations in these units. There should be actionable feedback with which they can help. They can recommend changes, extra action etc that can get you to where you want to be.

So don't flap, don't give up on yourself, and don't be making any hasty decisions before you've talked it through.

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

HI there,

It can feel really worrying when you get a grade that wasn't what you were hoping for but I would try not to worry too much about this! Writing uni assignments can be so different to anything you have done before and sometimes it just takes a while to get into the swing of how to do them to get the best grade you can get! I would definitely speak to your tutors and personal tutors as they will be the best people to help you with this and if you can try and set up a meeting with them as this way they will have plenty of time to chat to you about the assignment and how you did. Hopefully they can offer you advice on where you went wrong and you can learn from it and try not to make the same mistakes again.

Based on your feedback, I would also look into if there are any skills sessions/workshops that your university puts on which can help you with specific areas you may have struggled with- eg referencing or critical writing skills. Sometimes universities put these sessions on in the library or online where you can focus on improving these skills which might help your assignments.

I hope some of this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 9

1st year is the best year to make mistakes, the key is you need to use the opportunity to learn from them. Ask your module leads or markers for tutorials so they can help you understand where you missed marks. Make the most of your universities resources on this.
Original post by Autumn223
1st year is the best year to make mistakes, the key is you need to use the opportunity to learn from them. Ask your module leads or markers for tutorials so they can help you understand where you missed marks. Make the most of your universities resources on this.

I agree with the above 100%. This is an opportunity to progress and make the most of your degree.
All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hello there,
As a second-year student, I understand exactly how you're feeling right now. It's natural to be astonished and overwhelmed when you get unexpected results, especially if they don't match your expectations.
First and foremost, I'm glad to hear you got some good grades in your first semester. Getting two 2:1s and two 2:2s is certainly something to be proud of, and it demonstrates that you have the capacity to excel in your class.
However, I understand that receiving a fail in one of your modules can be disheartening and make you question your choice of course. It's crucial to realize that one setback does not determine your entire academic career. We will face problems and roadblocks along the way, but how we respond to them is what matters most.
It's admirable that you've already taken the proactive step of asking your lecturer and personal tutor for help. They are there to support you and offer advice on how to improve your academic performance in the future. They may be able to explain why you failed the module and propose ideas to assist you succeed in future examinations.
Regarding your questions about whether you've chosen the proper path, it's common to have doubts, especially when faced with challenges. However, before making any radical decisions, take the time to investigate your interests and strengths within your current course. Consider consulting with academic advisors, career counselors, or even senior students, who can offer useful insights and suggestions.
Remember, it's normal to feel overwhelmed and uncertain at times, but don't allow one setback define your entire academic career. Keep going, be proactive in seeking help, and believe in your ability to overcome obstacles. You've already exhibited perseverance and determination by reaching out for help, which is a good beginning in the right way.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
Hello! I agree with everyone so far, if you like your course it sounds like you just need to improve your confidence and figure out why you didn't do as well as you expected. It's perfectly valid to tell your professor or academic advisor that you're not sure why you didn't get a higher grade. You will improve over time as your knowledge and experience grows! (You'll also need to study a lot for this too!) It also might be worth asking people you're friendly with on your course how they felt they did and if anyone can share some tips with you about how they go about their essay. If it was me I would have been more than happy to help someone on my course! I hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending