The Student Room Group

Relationship help!!!

My family has issues in the sense my parents got a divorce, my father does not completely fulfill his duties of a father meaning he doesn’t go to work as he should. He’s self employed he goes for a while and then goes with his friends. This was a main factor to the divorce between my mother and father because, my mum always felt my dad cared more about his friends than the family itself.

I’ve always felt worried to share this topic, and have been scared to tell my boyfriend it because I’ve grown up in a toxic household when looking at relationships. Things my dad used to tell my mum my mum would use against him in an argument vice versa. They would use things that they both told one another against each other. I’m just scared if I tell people I love and care for such as my partner who’s so amazing and understanding they may one time in the future also use it against me which I will not be able to ever handle. I feel worried it may be used against me in comparison in an argument in like 10-15 years from now.
Is this just me being paranoid as this is the only type of relationship I have seen growing up? Or am I thinking realistically.

My friends and partner are not the type of people to commit such an act like my parents however, you can never know a person too well which is what I am afraid of.

Please comment any advice.
Original post by Anonymous #1
My family has issues in the sense my parents got a divorce, my father does not completely fulfill his duties of a father meaning he doesn’t go to work as he should. He’s self employed he goes for a while and then goes with his friends. This was a main factor to the divorce between my mother and father because, my mum always felt my dad cared more about his friends than the family itself.
I’ve always felt worried to share this topic, and have been scared to tell my boyfriend it because I’ve grown up in a toxic household when looking at relationships. Things my dad used to tell my mum my mum would use against him in an argument vice versa. They would use things that they both told one another against each other. I’m just scared if I tell people I love and care for such as my partner who’s so amazing and understanding they may one time in the future also use it against me which I will not be able to ever handle. I feel worried it may be used against me in comparison in an argument in like 10-15 years from now.
Is this just me being paranoid as this is the only type of relationship I have seen growing up? Or am I thinking realistically.
My friends and partner are not the type of people to commit such an act like my parents however, you can never know a person too well which is what I am afraid of.
Please comment any advice.
What your parents have done in the past (or currently) is not a reflection of what you may face in the future. You don’t need to worry if you don’t stray in the same path which led to the arguments/not upholding duties.
I know you’re going to be fine + I wish you all the best. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending