The Student Room Group

Biochemistry degree

:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Biochemistry is a largely lab-based science, so includes lots of labs I’m afraid (I’m applying to biochemistry). Maybe look into which has more, and which you think interest you more.
Also, biochemistry is fundamentally different from a straight chemistry degree, usually falling more into biology than chemistry itself, so you might want to be careful when deciding if you want to switch.
I hope you manage to decide and it all goes well for you though, good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by squiddy135
Biochemistry is a largely lab-based science, so includes lots of labs I’m afraid (I’m applying to biochemistry). Maybe look into which has more, and which you think interest you more.
Also, biochemistry is fundamentally different from a straight chemistry degree, usually falling more into biology than chemistry itself, so you might want to be careful when deciding if you want to switch.
I hope you manage to decide and it all goes well for you though, good luck!

:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
In first year I do 12 hours of labs a week
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Possumm8
Hi, I applied for a chemistry degree but I don’t really like labs, is there a lot of labs in a biochemistry degree? Please help as I need to decide if I should take a gap year and re apply! Thanks :smile:

Hi @Possumm8

There are definitely a lot of lab hours in a biochemistry degree, it's an important part of learning most sciences. In my experience I've had 2-3 lab sessions a week, and from what I remember in my first year each lab session was around 2-3 hours, and in second year my labs have been 3-4. However, labs don't always take the full time - if you're quick then you might only need half the timetabled time, it's mainly there in case people struggle or something goes wrong and takes extra time to fix.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending