The Student Room Group

Anxiety ruining my driving

I’m currently doing an intensive driving course spread out over the month and my anxiety is making it so hard to progress. It’s not even about driving anymore it’s just my anxiety is so paralysing I just can’t get in the right mindset l! Any tips?
I had severe anxiety with driving too. If I was able to pass i believe anyone can. It takes time. Just know you're in control of the car not the other way round
Reply 2
Original post by shireen1212
I had severe anxiety with driving too. If I was able to pass i believe anyone can. It takes time. Just know you're in control of the car not the other way round

Thank you so much! I ended up getting beta blockers from my doctor today to help me deal with my anxiety attacks so hopefully it will help! She said it should help and won’t seem to negatively impact my driving!!
Original post by LindaLinda
Thank you so much! I ended up getting beta blockers from my doctor today to help me deal with my anxiety attacks so hopefully it will help! She said it should help and won’t seem to negatively impact my driving!!

thats good!! I wish i got medication back then because I completely lost my appetite, I wasnt eating at all and my family were noticing it too. It was due to my horrible instructors and other stuff. I tried kalms but did nothing lol. never in my life did I want to smoke somethign so bad lool
Reply 4
Ahhh this is so relatable, I constantly dread my lessons every time - when I'm on them, my anxiety seems to settle after around 20 mins. I think it's more the thought for me. I have stopped lessons so many times due to it, but told myself that with the amount of money it costs I won't be doing that again haha! I find taking 10 mins before my lesson to relax, taking deep breaths reassuring yourself you'll be fine. In my lessons I also play music quietly, not sure if that's something you could ask for or would help? It really does help to have slight background noise. Especially Harry Styles 😝 and make sure you're hydrated, there's nothing worse when having anxiety that weird dry cotton mouth! Another thing I do is, put a mint or chewing gum in my mouth which really helps too
Reply 5
Original post by shireen1212

Original post by LindaLinda
I’m currently doing an intensive driving course spread out over the month and my anxiety is making it so hard to progress. It’s not even about driving anymore it’s just my anxiety is so paralysing I just can’t get in the right mindset l! Any tips?

I'm sorry to hear that your driving is being hampered by nervousness. To feel more at ease on the road, it is crucial to address this issue. To control your nervousness and recover confidence behind the wheel, think about turning to a professional, engaging in relaxation exercises, or researching counselling choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending