The Student Room Group

Nervous for placement

I'm a nursing student and I have really bad social anxiety; I also struggle with BPD, and next week I'm due for placement at a hospital in an operations ward and I'm incredibly nervous and scared. I don't want to do the wrong thing but I also struggle with interacting with people. But I really do want to overcome my fear and become a nurse. Is this job truly for me or is this normal and will I truly be able to overcome it.
Original post by Lauritamoo
I'm a nursing student and I have really bad social anxiety; I also struggle with BPD, and next week I'm due for placement at a hospital in an operations ward and I'm incredibly nervous and scared. I don't want to do the wrong thing but I also struggle with interacting with people. But I really do want to overcome my fear and become a nurse. Is this job truly for me or is this normal and will I truly be able to overcome it.

Hi
First of all well done for getting in to nursing.

What I would strongly recommend is that you speak with your immediate ward sister and manager and maybe your supervisor/ mentor privately after you introduced yourself and explain your predicament as they may be able to assist you much better if they know you have any issues with health related problems.

Unfortunately as you'll know by now nursing is all about communication and talking to families and the patients plus staff.

I know that you are feeling nervous about things but you'll soon lose any thoughts of nervousness once you are started.
Initially you may be asked to do the general observations and assist with changing and cleaning the bed's down after each patient is discharged. Also handing out any drinks & food.
If you are working on a general surgical ward then you'll be involved in everything but you'll be shown what to do and where things are kept.
Any issues with things then go and ask for assistance from a qualified nurse.

Only yourself will know after you have done your course for a few months or more if this is for you but remember that you should be able to speak to either your immediate ward sister and manager or your university course leader/ placement officer about things as they are there for you okay.

I'm a final year adult nurse about to qualify in the coming month as just sitting my final exams etc and will know outcome of results in early June.

Good luck with everything 😀😀
Original post by Lauritamoo

Hello @Lauritamoo

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year student midwife and let me tell you pre placement nerves are a thing, it's completely normal don't worry! My advice would be to smile, say hello & be confident. Ask anyone if they need any help with anything (providing you are allowed and comfortable to do it) or even little things like offering to make them a tea or coffee. As it is your first time they won't expect much from you so don't worry! :smile:

Best of luck
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending