The Student Room Group

IT Job

Hey guys,

Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady inviting me for an interview for a IT trainee role undertaking duties in:supporting all IT related activities, assisting user support, help-desk and BAU activities including monitoring and reporting and troubleshooting software issues. Manually testing and documenting and admin tasks. I then asked the lady how to fully prepare with practice for the interview and the potential questions to anticipate she said to me there wasn't any potential questions I could particularly prepare for to face but the questions will be based around my studies at university. The interview will be competencybased. Is there anything I can potentially do to best prepare for this, what sort of questions may they ask related to my studying and the things I did at university and what advice and tips would you give I am extremely nervous, worried scared and anxious and desperate… I know this is a-rewarding job, and the start of something special if I amable to obtain it as it’s always been a field I wanted to workin and pursue a career in but I need help please .

Thank you

Reply 1
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hey guys,
Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady inviting me for an interview for a IT trainee role undertaking duties in:supporting all IT related activities, assisting user support, help-desk and BAU activities including monitoring and reporting and troubleshooting software issues. Manually testing and documenting and admin tasks. I then asked the lady how to fully prepare with practice for the interview and the potential questions to anticipate she said to me there wasn't any potential questions I could particularly prepare for to face but the questions will be based around my studies at university. The interview will be competencybased. Is there anything I can potentially do to best prepare for this, what sort of questions may they ask related to my studying and the things I did at university and what advice and tips would you give I am extremely nervous, worried scared and anxious and desperate… I know this is a-rewarding job, and the start of something special if I amable to obtain it as it’s always been a field I wanted to workin and pursue a career in but I need help please .
Thank you
competency based interviews are usually gonna ask you questions about how you've handled situations in the past - see prospects.ac.uk page for more info. Try and come up with some answers for as many likely potential questions as you can, in the STAR format (situation, task, action, result)
Original post by Pedr0
competency based interviews are usually gonna ask you questions about how you've handled situations in the past - see prospects.ac.uk page for more info. Try and come up with some answers for as many likely potential questions as you can, in the STAR format (situation, task, action, result)

Hi so I’ve prepared and practiced interview questions such as the tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for the company and why do you want to work in IT Support questions. Im going to now prepare for questions such as tell me about a time when you went… I don’t know the extra mile as an example to provide support am I preparing well ahead do you think? And would you recommend any specific based questions to revise
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hi so I’ve prepared and practiced interview questions such as the tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for the company and why do you want to work in IT Support questions. Im going to now prepare for questions such as tell me about a time when you went… I don’t know the extra mile as an example to provide support am I preparing well ahead do you think? And would you recommend any specific based questions to revise
yeah mate sounds like you'll be fine, seems like you're doing this already tbh but look at the job description and see what kind of skills they're asking for and try and prepare in particular for questions that reflect those skills, so if the JD says 'experience working in a team' then you can guess you'll be asked something like 'tell me a time when you handled conflict in a team you were working in'. And if they ask you something that you dont have an exact answer to, don't be afraid to change the topic slightly like 'i haven't encountered this situation before personally, BUT i've done well in a similar situation where x happened, so i did y...' etc. Same thing for technical questions if they ask you any, if you've got knowledge which is close but not exactly what they're looking for then steer the conversation round to that
Original post by Pedr0
yeah mate sounds like you'll be fine, seems like you're doing this already tbh but look at the job description and see what kind of skills they're asking for and try and prepare in particular for questions that reflect those skills, so if the JD says 'experience working in a team' then you can guess you'll be asked something like 'tell me a time when you handled conflict in a team you were working in'. And if they ask you something that you dont have an exact answer to, don't be afraid to change the topic slightly like 'i haven't encountered this situation before personally, BUT i've done well in a similar situation where x happened, so i did y...' etc. Same thing for technical questions if they ask you any, if you've got knowledge which is close but not exactly what they're looking for then steer the conversation round to that

Have you got any website or links based to practice questions that’ll be useful please also any tests undertaken such as a apitutde test don’t know what that is… regardless of the outcome does that influence whether I get the job or not…
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending