The Student Room Group

UCL Engineering and Architectural Design MEng vs Architecture Bsc

I am stuck between the two courses. On paper, the Meng is 4 years compared to 3 of Bsc and both are accredited for architecture with ARB/RIBA Part 1 but Meng also has accreditation for engineering in terms of CIBSE & JBM. I am not completely sure what I want to do in the future so it seems like the Meng would leave more doors open. However, it was hard to find information regarding the course online and how well-recognized it is compared to the renowned Bsc Architecture. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by edwwwwwwwa
I am stuck between the two courses. On paper, the Meng is 4 years compared to 3 of Bsc but one receives both the accreditation for architecture with ARB/RIBA Part 1 and also accreditation for Engineering in terms of CIBSE & JBM. I am not completely sure what I want to do in the future so it seems like the Meng would leave more doors open. However, it was hard to find information regarding the Meng course online and how well-recognized it is compared to the renowned Bsc Architecture. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks!
You can put 'UCL' or 'Bartlett' on your CV regardless of which course you do, and that will be enough to satisfy anyone who cares about university prestige. If you think you might want to be an engineer then go for the MEng, it doesn't make sense at all to lock yourself out of that path just because of the reputation of the BSc course.
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
You can put 'UCL' or 'Bartlett' on your CV regardless of which course you do, and that will be enough to satisfy anyone who cares about university prestige. If you think you might want to be an engineer then go for the MEng, it doesn't make sense at all to lock yourself out of that path just because of the reputation of the BSc course.
Appreciate the quick response, I was thinking the same. I figure the industry cares more about one's actual skill or portfolio than what school they went to anyway. This was really helpful. Thanks!
Reply 3
Appreciate the quick response, I was thinking the same. I figure the industry cares more about one's actual skill or portfolio than what school they went to anyway. This was really helpful. Thanks!
you're welcome! And yes you're absolutely correct, experience/portfolio is far more important than the actual degree.

not sure what stage of the decision process you are at, but in case you happen to be looking for other courses that are accredited for both engineering and architecture, Sheffield and Leeds also do ARB/JBM prescribed degrees
Reply 4
Original post by Pedr0
you're welcome! And yes you're absolutely correct, experience/portfolio is far more important than the actual degree.
not sure what stage of the decision process you are at, but in case you happen to be looking for other courses that are accredited for both engineering and architecture, Sheffield and Leeds also do ARB/JBM prescribed degrees
I am already at the end of my application process and am preparing for final exams, but thanks for the recommendation.

To be completely honest, I actually wanted to study communication and industrial design, and was forced into applying for architecture for "employability" and how it would be "easier to transfer" from architecture to design than otherwise, so I thought this should work. Anyway, hope all goes well and hope you have a wonderful day!
Reply 5
I am already at the end of my application process and am preparing for final exams, but thanks for the recommendation.
To be completely honest, I actually wanted to study communication and industrial design, and was forced into applying for architecture for "employability" and how it would be "easier to transfer" from architecture to design than otherwise, so I thought this should work. Anyway, hope all goes well and hope you have a wonderful day!

Good luck with your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending