The Student Room Group

End of year 12 and no friends

I’m a guy and coming to the end of Year 12 without having made any friends at all. It feels bad realising that there’s nobody to hang out with, nobody to see me at my best or worst, nobody to experience life with and make memories etc. I just have this regret as time goes on.

Starting college I knew a small handful of people from my secondary school who I see here and there and might say hi to or wave to, but I didn’t start with any proper friends. Over the year I’ve spoken to all different people in lessons, on DofE and other events, but it soon became clear that I was dealing with moving on from school, having few social skills and not being confident with the way I’ve looked.

On the other hand my teacher has said that I don’t believe in myself as much as I apparently should. Plus some people have been surprised when I’ve said I don’t really hang out with anyone so I don’t know if I just need to make small changes or something.

The year finishes in two weeks roughly and I can’t believe how little I’ve achieved in this sense. I feel as though my teen years are slowly but surely disappearing.

Spending an entire summer holidays on my own isn’t going to be fun whatsoever but I’ve started going to the gym in the hope of becoming more confident in general.

Anyone in/been in a similar situation and got any advice? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, firstly i just want to say that sounds really difficult, i'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm starting sixth form this September, luckily at the same school as before, but i was in this situation a few years ago. finishing the year with acquaintances but no real friends. however in the next few months and years i became incredibly close with a good few people, and decent friends with many others.
My first advice is to start small, and just talk more to people in your classes. find someone you find interesting and who you can talk to comfortably. if it's the lesson before break/ lunch, ask where they're going and see if you can sit with them. it's what i did and it let me start having lunch with my now best friends.
Also, when you start sitting/hanging out consistently with a new group at lunch or whenever, you can then meet their friends and get to know them. I noticed a kind of snowball effect where the more people you know, the more people want to get to know you.
These are just my experiences of course, and as a girl they may be a little different than yours, but I wish you the very best of luck. it's very daunting putting yourself out there at first but it's so worth it. hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by penee_925
hey, firstly i just want to say that sounds really difficult, i'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm starting sixth form this September, luckily at the same school as before, but i was in this situation a few years ago. finishing the year with acquaintances but no real friends. however in the next few months and years i became incredibly close with a good few people, and decent friends with many others.
My first advice is to start small, and just talk more to people in your classes. find someone you find interesting and who you can talk to comfortably. if it's the lesson before break/ lunch, ask where they're going and see if you can sit with them. it's what i did and it let me start having lunch with my now best friends.
Also, when you start sitting/hanging out consistently with a new group at lunch or whenever, you can then meet their friends and get to know them. I noticed a kind of snowball effect where the more people you know, the more people want to get to know you.
These are just my experiences of course, and as a girl they may be a little different than yours, but I wish you the very best of luck. it's very daunting putting yourself out there at first but it's so worth it. hope this helps

Thank you for the advice. Yeah I think it could be easier to put myself out there at the start of the next academic year as everyone else is gonna be in a similar position.

I’m trying to just get over seeing other people hanging out with their friends and enjoying themselves, and feeling like I’m missing out on life in general, but I know that there’s still time to turn things around. Good luck for sixth form 🙌
Reply 3
you're very welcome and thanks! I've found that fear of missing out never really goes away, you just have to have fun as much as you can within your circumstance
Reply 4
Original post by trustland
I’m a guy and coming to the end of Year 12 without having made any friends at all. It feels bad realising that there’s nobody to hang out with, nobody to see me at my best or worst, nobody to experience life with and make memories etc. I just have this regret as time goes on.

Starting college I knew a small handful of people from my secondary school who I see here and there and might say hi to or wave to, but I didn’t start with any proper friends. Over the year I’ve spoken to all different people in lessons, on DofE and other events, but it soon became clear that I was dealing with moving on from school, having few social skills and not being confident with the way I’ve looked.

On the other hand my teacher has said that I don’t believe in myself as much as I apparently should. Plus some people have been surprised when I’ve said I don’t really hang out with anyone so I don’t know if I just need to make small changes or something.

The year finishes in two weeks roughly and I can’t believe how little I’ve achieved in this sense. I feel as though my teen years are slowly but surely disappearing.

Spending an entire summer holidays on my own isn’t going to be fun whatsoever but I’ve started going to the gym in the hope of becoming more confident in general.

It is tough once you get to Year 12 and I hope you’re ok. I guess in my situation I was lucky as I stayed in the same school with friends from secondary into sixth form.

Firstly I would try to talk to people who have similar interest to you or you share a bunch of classes with. You’ll be seeing them quite a lot and gradually as you talk more and more you’ll become closer. Even now in Year 12, all my friends want to do different things and do different subjects which is completely fine but I can sometimes clash with them because we just want different things. I know in your situation it’s harder because it’s almost the end of the year but you can always start in September.
I think someone else mentioned lunch/break which I think is a great place to start. I know for me lunch is a big deal, you sit with your friends, chat and just have that bit of enjoyment away from lessons and stuff. In Year 10 I used to hide in the bathroom for months because I had no one to sit with and was too embarrassed to show my face. Those were the bad days haha.
I completely understand it can be so much harder to speak to people when you don’t feel confident about yourself. There isn’t much I can say that will help because the one thing I will never ever do is change myself so other people like me/talk to me more. Maybe try find some new people outside of school? I recently started volunteering at a charity and found many people my age who were really friendly. Volunteering somewhere could be a starting point over the summer.
It is draining sometimes but I say just live in the moment. There is no benefit from thinking about what could and couldn’t be and all the if’s in life.

I’m pretty rubbish at advice but take from it what you can. I hope you do find some people to enjoy the rest of your time at college with. :smile:
Reply 5

Have you thought of getting a job or volunteering? Whilst going to the gym is a good idea for several reasons, you won’t have to mix with others if you don’t want to, which means if you have slight anxiety about how to approach strangers ( most people do) you may not try. In a work environment you have to move out of your comfort zone, and volunteering is an excellent way of meeting new people, and it’ll make summer a lot more interesting than just staying at home feeling bored and alone.
Reply 6
I had little to no friends in college either but used it to my advantage - it gives you more time to focus on yourself and build your future :smile: I’m now in a very good position for my future because if it
Reply 7
Original post by azzot
I had little to no friends in college either but used it to my advantage - it gives you more time to focus on yourself and build your future :smile: I’m now in a very good position for my future because if it

It’s always good to look on the bright side of things but your future depends not only on academic achievements but also your ability to create connections with people. In most jobs you will either be a member of a team or a leader of one. In either case the ability to interact socially is a fairly big décider in career progression once technical competence is proved. So I suggest that whilst OP shouldn’t beet themselves up about their limited friendship group they should make an effort to meet and communicate with as many people as possible, either through a part time job, volunteering or a hobby. Practice does make things easier!
Reply 8
Original post by Euapp
It’s always good to look on the bright side of things but your future depends not only on academic achievements but also your ability to create connections with people. In most jobs you will either be a member of a team or a leader of one. In either case the ability to interact socially is a fairly big décider in career progression once technical competence is proved. So I suggest that whilst OP shouldn’t beet themselves up about their limited friendship group they should make an effort to meet and communicate with as many people as possible, either through a part time job, volunteering or a hobby. Practice does make things easier!

Oh absolutely - should have mentioned I have great communication and social skills but choose to keep my circle small
Reply 9
Original post by azzot
Oh absolutely - should have mentioned I have great communication and social skills but choose to keep my circle small

I’ve always believed that you can have huge numbers of acquaintances but only a handful of real friends.
Reply 10

hi, i'm in year 12 too and also no friends at school. i'm getting through it by thinking about how uni will be a completely new start. everyone will be desperate to make new friends and no one will know you didn't have friends before.
also, i've always skipped the first and last day of term and i think that makes things i bit more bearable. i get really sad seeing people catching up/ saying goodbye to their friends and watching them go into town for the end of term so just missing those days helps.
i don't have any advice for how to fix the problem or else i wouldn't be in this situation too, but do you have friends online? it definitely helps me feel less lonely
Friends come and go anyway even if you had the bestest mates ever they won’t last I had a really good friendship with a girl from my class during year 10 and 11 we literally hung out all the time I went to hers everyday I was close with her brother and family but once I went to college I met another bunch of friends and never spoke to that girl since and when I left college they didn’t even bother keeping in touch with me and now I’m all alone like you years down the line . So I wouldn’t sweat it anyway it’s a temporary joy your much more likely to have a partner last longer than friends (if you can make the relationship work that is) that is why people still have their husband or wife years down the line but the same friend ? Unlikely

im in yr 12 with only 3 close friends. i love and appreciate them but its not like we hang out a lot away from school so it bugs me that other ppl seem to be experiencing more in larger groups like parties etc. i totally relate to the fear of your teenage years slipping away with having nothing to show.

'Plus some people have been surprised when I’ve said I don’t really hang out with anyone so I don’t know if I just need to make small changes or something.' i relate to that on a personal level. for me personally i noticed the reason im not friends with a lot of people is cuz i value common interests when it comes to friendships and unfortunately mine dont line easily with everyone... however i truly believe that once college starts you'll be with people more like you and when ur in dorms being forced to stay with other people, you'll kinda be forced to be friends with them. this just means that u wont be peaking in high school and honestly bro thats a good thing (im gonna gaslight myself into believing that and u should too) and i really hate these stupid movies that make it seem like we should be 'living the teenage dream' but there are sm people like us i swear

...and yea my summers quite uneventful too :/
oh and for actual practical advice, i feel like everyone will be desperate to get friends in college so you'll have ppl with low expectations lmao. also almost no one will no you there so try to be the best extroverted confident version of yourself and assert ur self in group settings and activities

A lot of people on this thread are saying that friends are overrated and etc. but I disagree with this as I really understand your situation. You clearly want to have proper friends but are struggling to. This happened to me a couple of years ago when I was in year 9 and I went through the whole year with only acquaintances and no actual friends. I have just finished year 11 and although I still don't have a lot of friends, I'm in a much much better position than I was back then. As I said, in year 9 I had acquaintances who were people that I had conversations with during class but not outside of it. I don't think I even had their phone numbers. In year 10, I decided that I would change this and I was going to get close to people. I had always made the excuse that everyone was already in friendship groups and therefore I couldn't join them. They would think I was weird for sitting with them. This is a lie that I made up in my head so in term one of year 10 I decided to go sit with the people who were my acquaintances that I didn't know very well. They had a massive friendship group and I didn't know a lot of them so I was really nervous. No one cared that I sat with them. No one was judging me or anything, they were just happy to get to talk to someone new. I don't know why I thought that you had to be extremely close friends with people in order to sit with them lol. Another thing that I did was that I switched form classes. I had always wanted to do this but didn't think I was close enough to someone in order to switch to their form. I forced myself to do it and it made me so much happier as I was able to get to know the friend group more. Some people asked me why I switched but other (in both my old form and new one) didn't notice. It wasn't a big deal.

Anyways so fast forward to now and I would say that I have one close friend and a few other people who are my friends as well. Sadly I'm switching school for sixth form so I'm going to have to go through this process again and I'm really scared about it. I think that if you put yourself out there and hang out with people without thinking about them judging you or anything then you will find people. One things that I would say is to not give yourself excuses. For example, don't say "oh university is in a year, I can start again then" because what's to say that the same thing won't happen again. If you keep thinking about how you'll have time to restart in the future and these friends will only be temporary, then you'll stop yourself from ever being able to talk to people. Why should you have to feel lonely for a year just because you're going to university next year? You could just say that about every step in your life then because university is also temporary. I hope this helped even a little bit
I have social anxiety and experienced this in sf. I made a few close friends, some of whom I'm still in contact with a few years on. my default script is saying to someone that I was going to go for a coffee/food after class somewhere and whether they wanted to join me. and even if they said no/they're busy they'd normally ask me for socials or ask if I was free another time. definitely worked as interim exposure therapy haha.
Reply 16
Original post by penee_925
you're very welcome and thanks! I've found that fear of missing out never really goes away, you just have to have fun as much as you can within your circumstance

Hey, I saw your PM a few weeks ago but I haven’t been able to reply because TSR is flagging it as spam (might be because I haven’t really PM’d anyone before). I’ve been waiting for them to respond with help but nothing as yet. I’m trying to get back to you ASAP

Hey! From someone who has been in this situation I know how it feels to be by yourself in college. In highschool I knew everyone and I was always talking to someone and never alone. When I went to college I didn't know anyone and lost a lot of my confidence.I used to feel self conscious about sitting alone because I felt I was being judged until one day, I saw this girl sitting by herself with her headphones and just vibing by herself and I thought she has so much confidence. My first thought wasn't that she was lonely or weird, and it made me think that I could sit alone and no one is going to judge me. It didn't come naturally to me and im still getting used to it but its crazy how productive you can be if you just sit and do your work because - trust me- it isn't great when you have exams in a few days and people are constantly coming up to you talking.
Side note- you are only there for 2 yrs and after that, there a big chance you will never see any of those people again :smile:
Reply 18
Hey, year 13 has started, how is it going for you?

im in a pretty much identical situation, other than maybe one, possibly two or three people from school that I still stay in contact with (but thats sparse as they either didnt do schooling after GCSEs, or financially cant hang out), and its genuinely so difficult to make any actual friends. And its especially hard when you see everyone else with their own groups of friends and having experiences together that youre just missing out on, so I get exactly how you feel. I think it might be a case of taking it on the chin and getting on with it at this point, unfortunately :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending