The Student Room Group

student finance

I am currently about to finish my first year at a bsc course but I am going to leave after this first year and start a new course at a different uni which is 5 years altogether (pharmacy with foundation year). how does student finance work I am a bit confused. do I just apply for student finance like normal? I currently have the tuition and maintainance loan
Original post by Mh83
I am currently about to finish my first year at a bsc course but I am going to leave after this first year and start a new course at a different uni which is 5 years altogether (pharmacy with foundation year). how does student finance work I am a bit confused. do I just apply for student finance like normal? I currently have the tuition and maintainance loan

Hi there, can you confirm if you have any other previous study? Is your new course 5 years or is the foundation year separate?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there, can you confirm if you have any other previous study? Is your new course 5 years or is the foundation year separate?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi, the foundation year is with the pharmacy course making it 5 years in total. I am going to leave my current course after the first year which is pharmacology (a different degree)
Original post by Mh83
Hi, the foundation year is with the pharmacy course making it 5 years in total. I am going to leave my current course after the first year which is pharmacology (a different degree)

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if you have no other previous study other than this 1 year, then you should still be eligible for finance for your new course.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if you have no other previous study other than this 1 year, then you should still be eligible for finance for your new course.

Thanks,
Claire

Okay thank you. For the sfe for this current course how do I cancel it? Do I apply for finance for my new course and then just leave my previous one alone (meaning I don’t reapply) or do I need to let them know?
Original post by Mh83
Okay thank you. For the sfe for this current course how do I cancel it? Do I apply for finance for my new course and then just leave my previous one alone (meaning I don’t reapply) or do I need to let them know?

You need to speak to your university about withdrawing from the current course. They university then need to send us a change of circumstances to confirm you have withdrawn.

If you have already applied for 23/24 for your current course you would need to cancel this as you will be classed as a new student once you withdraw, so will need to complete the paper PN1 Form found here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1151449/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf and post this back to the address on the form.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
You need to speak to your university about withdrawing from the current course. They university then need to send us a change of circumstances to confirm you have withdrawn.

If you have already applied for 23/24 for your current course you would need to cancel this as you will be classed as a new student once you withdraw, so will need to complete the paper PN1 Form found here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1151449/sfe_pn1_form_2324_o.pdf and post this back to the address on the form.

Thanks,
Claire

I haven’t reapplied for my course I’m about to leave so I don’t need to do the form right. Do I just need to let my uni know that I’m leaving and they’ll let you guys know? Or do I need to contact you as well saying I’m leaving and to cancel my current loan?
Original post by Mh83
I haven’t reapplied for my course I’m about to leave so I don’t need to do the form right. Do I just need to let my uni know that I’m leaving and they’ll let you guys know? Or do I need to contact you as well saying I’m leaving and to cancel my current loan?

Have you received all your payments for this academic year?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Have you received all your payments for this academic year?

Thanks,
Claire

Yes i have
Original post by Mh83
Yes i have

Thank you. If you are withdrawing then your funding will be reassessed and pro ratad based on your dates in study. If you contact the university and ask them to send this over to us if you are now going to be finishing the year off. Thanks, Jason
Reply 10
I may have to resit an exam so should I tell my university after I've sat the exam or can I just do it now as the exam will be in July? Will July be too late/too tight to apply for finance?
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you. If you are withdrawing then your funding will be reassessed and pro ratad based on your dates in study. If you contact the university and ask them to send this over to us if you are now going to be finishing the year off. Thanks, Jason
Original post by Mh83
I may have to resit an exam so should I tell my university after I've sat the exam or can I just do it now as the exam will be in July? Will July be too late/too tight to apply for finance?

Hi there,

We would advise to speak to the university now regarding this.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending