The Student Room Group

If I apply again...

Hey all.

I failed in my application Oxford this year for computer science and after agonising decided to drop an Imperial College offer and try to reapply to Oxbridge.
My reasons for reapplying are lengthy, but they are not only as a result of me not getting in to Oxford.
I now want to apply to Cambridge, but what is their policy on people who have already applied to an Oxbridge university?
Also, I am resitting two modules in maths, but this is during my A level studies and not during a year out to retake A levels.

I should be aiming for (and realistially) around 560/600 in A level maths, 270+ in AS further maths, but the constraint is that I have a damning C in computing. They don't seem to care too much about computing for computer science, strangely. Well, some colleges don't, but I'm sure they'd expect an A or at least a B.

Anyway, should I apply to Cambridge given that I should be getting the following grades:

AAA(a, further maths AS, c, computing) History, Geography, Maths

For those of you who have applied to Oxbridge for computer science, what do you think? Please tell me if you have applied to Oxbridge.

Much thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Dude, I did Oxford last year and Cambridge today. They don't care
I don't think it will matter. You'll be considered along with everyone else that year.
Reply 3
It doesn't matter that you applied to Oxford last time, they probably won't even know. However, the Computing grade is bad. I know it's not really like the course but you will need a very good reason. You are expected to get A grades in all of your subjects, especially the one you wish to study at degree level!
Reply 4
They don't care about Computing if you don't have it, but that C is going to look very bad given that you do.

Are you sure you can't resit?
Thicky
It doesn't matter that you applied to Oxford last time, they probably won't even know. However, the Computing grade is bad. I know it's not really like the course but you will need a very good reason. You are expected to get A grades in all of your subjects, especially the one you wish to study at degree level!

Yeah. Hopefully I'll get an interview. Then, hopefully, I might be able to show them that I am much better than a C in computing, and more importantly, a strong mathematician.
The best support will come from an award in AEA maths. I'll have to try incredibly hard to get at least a merit.
numb3rb0y
They don't care about Computing if you don't have it, but that C is going to look very bad given that you do.

Are you sure you can't resit?

I can resit it, but given that I am not studying it at the moment and have two module resits and 4 subject exams in the summer, I don't think it'll be a good idea. I guess with a little work, I can up it to a B. It was about 10 marks off anyway.
Reply 7
I don't think there's any 'policy'. If you don't tell them, they won't know that you applied to Oxford in a different year, and there's no reason that they'd care.

I reapplied to Cambridge after rejection and got in. Its as worth a go as the first round was.
Reply 8
TRStemporaryusername
I can resit it, but given that I am not studying it at the moment and have two module resits and 4 subject exams in the summer, I don't think it'll be a good idea. I guess with a little work, I can up it to a B. It was about 10 marks off anyway.

As you're going to have to take a year out anyway, have you considered sorting out somewhere to do it during that? I'm on a gap year right now but I arranged to do A2 Computing with a local 6F College and my old school just put down a predicted grade to go with all my other final ones on my UCAS application. It might take the heat off if you did that.
numb3rb0y
As you're going to have to take a year out anyway, have you considered sorting out somewhere to do it during that? I'm on a gap year right now but I arranged to do A2 Computing with a local 6F College and my old school just put down a predicted grade to go with all my other final ones on my UCAS application. It might take the heat off if you did that.

Hmm. I'm getting ideas. Very nice ones. Thanks a lot.
I might try to do A2 further maths and an AS in physics just for fun :wink:

I dunno about A2 computing. I hate the computing taught at A level.

thanks by the way
Reply 10
Maths is the most important thing they're looking for, so emphasise that. Good luck.
Reply 11
Most colleges won't care about Computing, Maths and Physics are the way to go. Computing and IT are vocational subjects that have little to do with actual Computer Science.
Do whatever makes you happy and that you won't always think "I wish I'd of..." Good luck.

P.s. Your grades sound alright. Surely it's worth a shot. I got pooled with BBBC so y'know... What's the worst that can happen?
Reply 13
Just out of curiosity, what did Imperial say to your C in Computing?
Reply 14
Craghyrax
I don't think there's any 'policy'. If you don't tell them, they won't know that you applied to Oxford in a different year, and there's no reason that they'd care.

I reapplied to Cambridge after rejection and got in. Its as worth a go as the first round was.

If I remember correctly there is box on the SAQ that asks whether you have applied to oxford or cambridge in the past. It might be new, but they will know..
Doubt they would care much though
Reply 15
They only ask if you've applied to Cambridge before. They won't know if you've applied to Oxford before...
emioly
If I remember correctly there is box on the SAQ that asks whether you have applied to oxford or cambridge in the past. It might be new, but they will know..
Doubt they would care much though

Oh yeh I forgot about that. However I think that's just for their stats. They don't look in their records to see how you did the year before, and they don't use it for assessment, and its not compulsory to fill out all of the SAQ (I think)
Reply 17
Craghyrax
Oh yeh I forgot about that. However I think that's just for their stats. They don't look in their records to see how you did the year before, and they don't use it for assessment, and its not compulsory to fill out all of the SAQ (I think)

Oh, I just looked on the SAQ (reminded me of life before I had my interview lol) and it does only ask about Cambridge no Oxford so they won't know.
Reply 18
C in computing and you want to do computer science? Hmmm :s-smilie: I don't see why you couldn't have just taken the other offer for Imperial, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all y'know.
Reply 19
I cannot believe you rejected Imperial :confused: i mean, most people would die for that offer! It would set you up for life!

Latest

Trending

Trending