The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: Cambridge doesn't care about non-academic ECs - and other things!

OK, I've been searching around Cambridge and I've found a podcast about admissions:

http://mediaplayer.group.cam.ac.uk/

^Go to admissions, and click on (2) Parent's Guide to Admissions.

It states that "the admission process is entirely driven by academic criteria". I.e. they don't give a damn about ECs.

As a bonus it states that, "your chance of getting a Cambridge offer is irrespective of the choice of college".

They also say that they "assess each person individually, in their individual context..."

Also, it states that "the media portrays them in a different way and Oxbridge mock interviews, courses and books are there to make money".

They say it's not about "body language, what you wear, how you speak..."

They look for:

*passion for their subjects
*passion for learning
*enthusiasm for difficult and complex ideas
*the ablility to think for themselves
*go beyong what it expected of them :yep:
*seek out the difficult, complex ideas
*get further into the subject
*motivated, committed and organised
*intectually flexible (?)

OFFICIAL: these are the factors that they assess Cambridge candidates:

*Academic record (GCSES, AS level, A Levels)
*School/college reference
*PS
*submitted work where requested
*test results (e.g. BMAT LNAT, TSA) where tests form a part of our assessment
*performance at interview

...no sign of non-academic ECs are there? They don't care about national level ping-pong, or grade 8 piano etc.

"There is no single element that will make or break an application" i.e. interview isn't EVERYTHING! And don't fret over your GCSES!

What happens if I had to re-sit some modules? What if my GCSEs aren't up to stratch? Cambridge says: "If it is a blip - it need not matter"

HOWEVER, if it's part of a pattern, it might....

Cambridge rejects around 5000 applicants who go on to get straight As or better - i.e. grades AREN'T everything, they want something else, as mention above^^^

"There is not one single ailver bullet that decides that "this student will become a first-class student""

"Having a good track record is important and is significant"

PS: It's not "why am I good?" it's "why am I right for this degree course?"

Also, be happy to discuss whatever on your PS.

The interviews are not the SOLE factor of your application.

These are some quotes I have taken off of that podcast from the link above. So, what are your opinions? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Grades get you an interview, interview gets you a place... nothing else to say.
LearningMath

You could say that... :smile:
3 Minutes Ago: 25th December 2008 14:42
... OFFICIAL: Cambridge doesn't care about ECs - and other things!

Why - it's Christmas Day, sir!
LearningMath

This really isn't true, even after the interview it can be argued (and I would care to argue) that grades are still the most important factor.
The West Wing
This really isn't true, even after the interview it can be argued (and I would care to argue) that grades are still the most important factor.

No it isn't. No from the Cambridge podcast. They say that "there is no silver bullet..." I.e. there is no one single factor in deciding a Cambridge place. Have you even read my post?
im so academic
No it isn't. No from theCambridge podcast. They say that "there is no silver bullet..." I.e. there is no one single factor in deciding a Cambridge place. Have you even read my post?

I said they can be argued to be the most important factor, not the "one single factor" :rolleyes:
The West Wing

If you're going to cambridge, 'A' grades are easy to achieve. Trust me, the interview is the most important factor by miles
I won't say the interviewer's name but I was asked at my PPS interview about what I do outside the classroom. If that's not EC's what is?
The West Wing
I said they can be argued to be the most important factor, not the "one single factor" :rolleyes:

Cambridge still said that "there is not one important factor". At the (4) podcast, they mention they take a "holistic" approach to dealing with one's application, i.e. EVERYTHING counts.
LearningMath
If you're going to cambridge, 'A' grades are easy to achieve. Trust me, the interview is the most important factor by miles

A grades may be easy to achieve, but outstanding performances at AS level and GCSE grades are still the only empirical "evidence" success at passing exams, which unfortunately is still the main reason you go to Cambridge.
Old news
im so academic
*passion for their subjects
*passion for learning
*enthusiasm for difficult and complex ideas
*the ablility to think for themselves
*go beyong what it expected of them
*seek out the difficult, complex ideas
*get further into the subject
*motivated, committed and organised
*intectually flexible (?)

A lot of these things can be demonstrated by ECs. Particularly the parts "passion for learning", "the ability to think for themselves" and "motivated, committed and organised". I would think committment to, for instance, a sports team would demonstrate the ability to manage time effectively, committment and organisation.
ECs very obviously come under "PS", "reference" and "interview", given that they are asked about at interview.

I really don't see how any of this supports your assertion that "Cambridge doesn't care about ECs". There is no evidence for this. They are clearly subsidiary to showing ability in and passion for the subject, but they can demonstrate all sorts of desirable personal qualities and are certainly relevant.

You are right to say that its not all about interview though. Pretty much anyone who meets the minimum standard gets an interview - but theres an awful lot more that goes into deciding whether a candidate is suitable than just the interview.
Off-topic, People also seem to be under the impression sometimes that the interview is about luck. It really really isn't. If you are well prepared, have done your background reading and know why you are applying than you stand a great chance. Being slick, charismatic and bull****ing your way through the interview won't get you in no matter how well you do it.
LUFCsuperstar
I won't say the interviewer's name but I was asked at my PPS interview about what I do outside the classroom. If that's not EC's what is?

Yes, i think the OP post is rubbish to be honest, all my friends who are at oxbridge had questions about outside interests...
LUFCsuperstar

I bet they are asking like how do you go beyond the A-Level curriculum, i.e. do you do other things that show enthusiasm and passion for your degree course? Do you read around the subject etc?
im so academic
Cambridge still said that "there is not one important factor". At the (4) podcast, they mention they take a "holistic" approach to dealing with one's application, i.e. EVERYTHING counts.

I didn't imply that you should separate the factors, or that admissions tutors did so. They clearly take each factor in reference to others, but this doesn't mean you cannot talk in terms of relative importance of factors in their contribution to such a "holistic" approach.
The West Wing
A grades may be easy to achieve, but outstanding performances at AS level and GCSE grades are still the only empirical "evidence" success at passing exams, which unfortunately is still the main reason you go to Cambridge.

Not at all, they're actively looking for talent, even if that talent isnt backed by motivation. EE offers are still given out you know.

You sound surprised.

This is nothing new, and it's nothing we haven't been saying for aeons on here.
Reply 18
LearningMath

Why should we trust you? :hmmm:

Merry Christmas :smile:
:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:
Reply 19
Oh come on guys, it's Christmas. Leave the bickering about Cambridge offers, and go sleep off your lunch. :p: This argument has been done 100 times before; just do a search. im so academic isn't arguing anything new.

Good luck to everyone waiting for offer news over the Christmas period. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending