The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
what are badminton and cricket like at christ's?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 301
there's a quite active social badminton club I think, not sure if it is competitive with other colleges though. As a fresher, I'm yet to be around during the cricket season, but I've heard good things about the team.

And going back to an earlier topic in the thread, I'm back in college today and reliably infomed the ONLY showers in First Court are in the library :biggrin:
Reply 302
drive
what are badminton and cricket like at christ's?

There's an active club... I think they start nets this term.

Here's a picture of them I've found http://www.flickr.com/photos/21644494@N08/2172964273/
Reply 303
Christs Bio NatSci offerrrrrr YEAH!

hey y'all hope to see you in October

wot mail might we get from the college in the next few months?

and how is table tennis at Christs?
Reply 304
Well done on your matric offer!
I don't think after my offer and then UCAS letter I had any contact with Christ's until after results day. Or I think I may have had something after A levels but not much at all. Friends who had offers from other colleges seemed to be getting loads of stuff over Feb/March but it really doesn't matter.

I have never heard anthing about table tennis here at all, I'm afraid, though the local sports centre is not far where I think they would have tables.
just a quick question..although my offer is a matric offer, it says i do have to obtain basic passes for the exams ive listed, which includes step 2 and 3 and AEA phys...does this mean that i have the chance of not making the requirements if say i fail them..esp AEA phys since i have no idea what a basic pass in that acutally is?
Reply 306
being an arts student and non matric offer person I can't really help you.
If you're unsure over the terms of your offer I would suggest asking a teacher at your 6th form to try and decode it or emailing Christ's to clarify. Though I would imagine any offer would be clearly spelled out.
Reply 307
Hi! I'll be at Christ's this year for medicine - met my offer for the IB :smile:
I was just wondering if there are any sporting facilities at Christ's other than squash courts (like a pool, soccer or hockey pitch)?
i'm not a student (going next year, non-matric offer though) but i know christ's has its own sports ground (well i say ground, probably field?) but on site i didn't hear of anything except squash courts (of which there is apparently only one now...)
rich_b, as a non-matric offer person, where do you get your rooms? I remember my interview in z block, there were a few rooms round there but i didn't see any of them.
Reply 309
Not there yet either but the sports grounds are out on the road towards Girton, and I seem to remember reading that they were the biggest in Cambridge, but shared with Sidney. And I don't think anyone knows much about accommodation because of the changes to the typewriter building.
mach2speedy
just a quick question..although my offer is a matric offer, it says i do have to obtain basic passes for the exams ive listed, which includes step 2 and 3 and AEA phys...does this mean that i have the chance of not making the requirements if say i fail them..esp AEA phys since i have no idea what a basic pass in that acutally is?

My matric offer said just to take 2 AEAs rather than to pass them, however, if i was you I would double check with the admissions office.
Reply 311
Jimmmeh, Accomodation this year has been rather funny, because as wiio says of the typewriter refurb. I think, in the past, matric offers (and also I think choral scholars, which I am one of) would go in Y or Z, and other first years would be in New Court.

I presume this will be the same next year, though with a much nicer looking and feeling New Court. This year we have been all over the place.

And I'm pretty sure the sports ground is somewhere Girton-way. NOt that I have ever been, or ever likley to go near there!
Reply 312
thanks! I look forward to meeting you guys, good luck for those whose exams are ahead - you'll do great.
i was just wondering..can matric offer people choose to live in the new building if we feel the atmosphere there will be better or do we have to choose the z building?
Reply 314
In first year all rooms are randomly allocated, so I'm afraid you don't get much choice. But rest assured as a matric offer holder, college WILL give you a very nice room - it's what they do. And you will be around other first years.

Also because Christ's is so compact you will find you spend a lot of your time in different buildings - everywhere is no more than a 90 sec walk away so it's no issue.
Reply 315
BCM - Matric offer holders might get something towards the end of march with an advance reading list and some general information. I got mine on my birthday (30th march!)

i was just wondering..can matric offer people choose to live in the new building if we feel the atmosphere there will be better or do we have to choose the z building?

You'll just get told where your room is, there isn't really much choice about it. Z is lovely though. So is staircase 4, if you are lucky enough to be put there. It's all good, and since you're so close to everybody it doesn't really matter where you live.
Reply 316
davidt
BCM - Matric offer holders might get something towards the end of march with an advance reading list and some general information. I got mine on my birthday (30th march!)

kk thnx im really looking forward to it - lol that must have been fun...
Reply 317
Inside my letter, there's only a sheet of paper saying I'm offered a place. I'm now wondering if they are going to send me a college prospectus over the next few months.

To all those with EE offers: I'm jealous of you people......
Reply 318
Anyone or anyone knows someone who is:
1.international;
2.applied to Christ's;
3.got pooled;
4.sent an email to ask whether the application had sunk;
5.whose email replied by nobody so far?
If I'm the only one...BOOOOoooooHoooooOOOO~~!!
Just wondering if Christ's has an attitude of ignoring the emails sent by those who are pooled then rejected(I guess they wouldn't ignore those who are fished out by other colleges,but it's just me guessing),because it seems all other colleges reply emails from pooled students even if the final decision is a rejection.

OHH~just got the rejection letter~no one needs to care about those endless questions anymore~!
Get back to a normal life~
Reply 319
Check out www.thejcr.co.uk - the brand new JCR web site, including quite a bit for prospective students including lots of 'day in the life' accounts of various subjects.

*BCM*
kk thnx im really looking forward to it - lol that must have been fun...

It was quite cool!

Inside my letter, there's only a sheet of paper saying I'm offered a place. I'm now wondering if they are going to send me a college prospectus over the next few months.

Most likely the next you'll hear is at the end of August when you get the Fresher's pack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending