The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

almost everyone here is really thin...asian/caucasian alike...mostly cos of all the pressure from the media for everyone to be thin / "hot". all the clothes in hk are asian sizes...so it's much smaller than UK/US sizes. that's why even for caucasians...everyone wants to be thin to look good/buy clothes easier/not be teased by people/not be insulted by people behind their backs. as soon as people get a little chubby...they are pressurised to lose weight to "fit in". it's so common in hk to have all these "trimming programs" from companies holding promotions and adverts everywhere in hk. it's around almost every street corner. one of the worst things is to be walking in the subway station...and have one of the sales people approaching you with brochures to encourage you to join their program just cos you look a bit chubby. for most people...they don't even see it as an insult...the see it as "o gosh i DO need to lose weight...even other people thinks so!!" and then they go on extreme crash-course diets or actually JOIN one of those programs themselves. most of them are just restricting your diet along with drugs which help you lose weight quickly to achieve the "lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks!!" or something like that. but then as soon as the person leaves the program, they put on weight so quickly again cos they don't know how to control their diet & they didn't lose weight before through exercise and stuff, and then they try to lose weight again. every drug store / shops have a special section on dieting drugs...usually it's the biggest section as well. every month there's a new diet drug and people try it regardless of any side effects (if there are any...people don't even know and they take the drugs). apart from diet pills...the next most popular is the "boost your boobs" pills. it's so sad...but it's extremely common in asia, esp. hk. it's just...EVERYWHERE.

i admit i've become one of those people who want to lose weight to be thin. i don't take drugs for it...but i do try and restrict my diet to lose weight. now...i'm trying to lose weight because i've gained from a 5 month binge. but my point here is that in most cases...people are pressurised to lose weight...and a little flab can result in teasing and looks from people that can make you wanna just dig a hole and hide.
Reply 81
katiesado
What really irritates me is that I'm pretty openminded when it comes to a guy's physical appearance. I'm open to dating a guy that is shorter than me, who is skinny or a bit fat because I usually like the guy more for the way he is, if I feel something from him connectionwise and for how he treats me. Its been my experience that men are not so overlooking of physical flaws as women are. Why should I feel pressured to live up to his expectations while his philosophy remains a staunch "take me for what I am"? Why is ten extra pounds on a woman more tragic and obsess-worthy than 10 extra pounds on a man?

I know exactly what you mean, and it's that thought that makes women obsessive about 'needing to lose that extra 6 pounds' or 'that bit that sticks out over my jeans that I just can't shift'. Whereas men or boys are not bothered at all that they might be getting a bit tubby. They might acknowledge the fact but not to the point of trying too hard to shift it. More of a ‘if it goes it goes’ kind of attitude.

But more than this being the result of men’s views on women. It’s the fact that women’s magazines are full of 'revolutionary new diets’ and other must know weight loss techniques. They also 'shame' celebrities for looking worse for wear after a night out or they look a bit flabby on the beach...a media version of playground bullying!!! Yet these magazines sell by the lorry-load, because they are telling you that you're less-than-perfect by showing you what you should look like, and then claiming to hold the key to how to become this person. Whereas men’s magazines are all about fast cars, faster (preferably topless) women and crude humour and jokes. (Zoo magazine even has Britain’s fattest man on its journalism team....Why?...because he is Britain’s fattest man, and we men like that!!!).

Back to bodies, most of my mates, in fact most men I know see overly skinny women as quite a big turn-off! And the perfect specimens that everyone gawps at in the clubs, all have curves, they’re not fat, but breasts and bums seem to be the key. However body size/shape is not as important as you may think, attraction-wise what everyone sees first are faces (including hair) and this is what most men are attracted to first, although the face is obviously going to be different if someone is overweight. So I’m not saying weight isn’t an issue because we all know it is, but the ‘hotties’ that everyone turns to in the clubs or even on the beach are NOT one specific size and shape. There is no perfect body to strive for, but more of a ‘somewhere between this and that’ body. So a couple of pounds of here and a couple there is really not worth the hassle, because in the end, a man is NOT going to notice. In the end these little bits are unnoticable anyway because when you first meet someone, your usually clothed, and these clothes, a wonderful invention that they are, allow you to cover up certain bits and show off others, completely altering anyone’s perception of what’s underneath.
And if he sees you unclothed??.......Frankly, if he has gotten that far he’s not going to care if you have a little bit of fat on your hips.......he’ll probably see it more as something to hold onto!!!! :biggrin:

What you have got to remember girls, is that you look at your bodies constantly, clothed and unclothed, and because of this you notice every little flaw (we men can do it too). But nobody takes as much attention of your body as you, and I can guarantee nobody else notices half these flaws (Say for instance, that you don’t like your lips or your nose, when you look in the mirror you are examining your face and only focussing on the faults, but when someone is looking at you, even up-close talking, they just see your face as a whole, and are more concentrating on what you are saying and only really looking at your eyes [I know that’s what I do]). But when you concentrate on your faults and flaws (everybody has them!) you obsess and that’s all you ever see.

PHEW!! I should be an agony aunt! :p: (if all that ranting made any sense at all!!)
Reply 82
eurasianfeline
i admit i've become one of those people who want to lose weight to be thin. i don't take drugs for it...but i do try and restrict my diet to lose weight. now...i'm trying to lose weight because i've gained from a 5 month binge. but my point here is that in most cases...people are pressurised to lose weight...and a little flab can result in teasing and looks from people that can make you wanna just dig a hole and hide.

You need to look at what's made you go on a 5 month binge - losing weight is all very well, but you need to keep it controlled rather than fluctuating like that. And from the sounds of things you're skinny enough already, just paranoid about all the crazy diet-obsessed stuff going on around you. BE HEALTHY! It's more important than anything else!

DayTripper - well said, completely agree :smile:
Reply 83
Well said DayTripper, if only I could work out how to rep people... What you say about the face and hair - is that why ginger people such as myself (it might just be me, without wanting to offend anyone) find it incredibly difficult to pull?
Reply 84
tiger_babe
Well said DayTripper, if only I could work out how to rep people... What you say about the face and hair - is that why ginger people such as myself (it might just be me, without wanting to offend anyone) find it incredibly difficult to pull?

To rep people, you click on the little scales in the top right of the person's post (between the number and the warning sign) and a little box should pop up.

I don't know about ginger people finding it hard to pull, my sister doesn't seem to have much problem, but it may be so for some people because ginger isn't "classically" good-looking. But look at Nicole Kidman and Kylie :p:
Reply 85
Cool, thankyou! I always get shouted at when I go out "oi ginger!" It gets soooo annoying but when I dyed my hair dark I got loads of attention from men. Seems being a size 10 isn't all men look for.
i'm size 10, and i always get called fat............and i've never had a bf.......what is it with guys and long legs, i'll never know!
Reply 87
Wow, thanks a lot, your gonna make me blush lol.
Glad I was a help though. Red hair though, I don't know I guess it depends on preference really, in my opinion whether it's their natural colour or not some people look really good with red hair, others not so. Maybe it's because it is a more noticable and outstanding hair colour, so some people pull it off better than others Nicole Kidman for instance, or that Linsey Lohan is a fox! You said when you dyed your hair, you were fighting them off (my words not yours I know :p:) so maybe you just suit other hair colours.
Have you seen Jonathon Ross's wife, Bright Red hair (Dyed obviously) and looks reeeeaaally good! lol
Reply 88
peppermint_patt
i'm size 10, and i always get called fat............and i've never had a bf.......what is it with guys and long legs, i'll never know!

:eek: really?

u get called fat? OMGWTF!! lol
its not about how u look its about body confidence. regardless of ur size, if u think u r beautiful and truly believe it, you are hotter than skinny wimpy girls.

believe me. i've got a reasonable figure - size 10. but my ex left me for a FAT girl!she was about maybe size 14-16, small tits,flabby and with a double chin. but she had a lively personality whereas im boring and quiet. she also had a pretty face.
so even if u r fat, just make nice makeup, pretty hair dye/cut, and be friendly.

also, on channel 5's ''Make me a Supermodel'' (finals are on apr 4th!) the girl who i think will win is size 12. for a catwalk model, thats big- they r usually size 6-8.but she's so beautiful

i think the problem is that fat people buy ugly clothes cos its thought to be harder to get them in big sizes. they dress ugly, and therefore think they r ugly, so have low confidence and come across as shy or unattractive.

go to new look. all the time i wana buy something i cant get small sizes, as they sell out first, so the only ones left are the big szes :wink:

and as for guys, i find a tanned man with a nice fat BIG body a massive turn on.
Reply 90
Well I'm glad to hear you're supporting Jo, but how then can you say that a girl of size 14-16 is FAT?
im sorry to offend anyone. i just really hated her cos she got off with my lovely ex :frown:

but yea she was bigger than me, so theres no truth in saying thin girls are more attractive
Reply 92
Everyone seems to be fussed about being fat, but being thin really isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've got such a straight up and down figure, I'm size 8 but I'd give it all up to be a size 14 with some hips and tits. Men find it so much more sexy if you're a bit womanly (I know it sounds like a cliche but it's true!)
Sam_B
:eek: really?

u get called fat? OMGWTF!! lol

u being sarcastic? lol

no really, i am for my height, 5'3 and 9st........not exactly Claudia Schiffer, am I?!

anyway, i was going to add something........i used to think i was really fat, and i wouldn't wear miniskirts or anything, but then i saw this really huge woman (i dont want to be horrible, but she really was!) wearing a miniskirt, and i thought, well, if she can wear one, and people are turning a blind eye, why can't i?! so i bought one, and now, i'm not exactly happy about my weight, but i can wear skirts now, and i found out that no-one actually cares. I thought people would be looking at me like some kind of fat freak, but they aren't, they just dont care...........it just shows we're a lot more self concious of our weight than other people see.......

i don't know if that made sense or not.....but anyway :biggrin:
Reply 94
DayTripper
Wow, thanks a lot, your gonna make me blush lol.
Glad I was a help though. Red hair though, I don't know I guess it depends on preference really, in my opinion whether it's their natural colour or not some people look really good with red hair, others not so. Maybe it's because it is a more noticable and outstanding hair colour, so some people pull it off better than others Nicole Kidman for instance, or that Linsey Lohan is a fox! You said when you dyed your hair, you were fighting them off (my words not yours I know :p:) so maybe you just suit other hair colours.
Have you seen Jonathon Ross's wife, Bright Red hair (Dyed obviously) and looks reeeeaaally good! lol

Mine is 100% natural - and I hate all the abuse but its so expensive to keep dying it all the time. I've also heard said that this bloke would want to go out with me, except that I'm ginger! People are so shallow :frown:
Reply 95
tiger_babe
Mine is 100% natural - and I hate all the abuse but its so expensive to keep dying it all the time. I've also heard said that this bloke would want to go out with me, except that I'm ginger! People are so shallow :frown:

Doesn't sound worth going out with if he's so easily swayed...

A.
Reply 96
Alaric
Doesn't sound worth going out with if he's so easily swayed...

A.

Lol yeh tis true, but it hurts that if I was brunette or blonde he would've been all for it. Looks like I'll be making another trip to the hairdressers...
Reply 97
DayTripper
Whereas men or boys are not bothered at all that they might be getting a bit tubby. They might acknowledge the fact but not to the point of trying too hard to shift it. More of a ‘if it goes it goes’ kind of attitude.

This isn't universally true. I'm male and a bit of a freak when it comes to this kinda thing.....couldn't face being "fat" or "overweight" - if I ever discovered that I was getting a bit tubbier I'd be straight down the gym to work it off!

Oh, and I hope that people don't get insulted by that. I dont dislike overweight people, I'm just saying that I couldn't personally be overweight, I think I'd hate it!

:smile:

Oh yeah and the ginger lass (lol sorry)....a lot of ginger girls look well fit! Just depends on your taste...I know someone who wouldn't ever go for a brunette, just because he didn't like that. Dye your hair if you like it a diff colour, but not if you think it'll attract someone! (How annoying would it be if it attracted someone, then they found out you were ginger and left you lol!)
this is gonna sound realli cheesy but its true

i dusnt realli matter wot size you are as long as you are happy with it. i know lots of girls who have lost bfs cos they are constantly stressin and being insecure about their weight.

there are lots of different guys and they all like different things
Dill
By the way, people might think they are being supportive if they praise curvy women, and then start slagging off thin women by saying they might snap, but that's just as bad as being nasty about the larger woman. Skinny girls are also self conscious about their weight. The thing I find annoying is when bigger girls are like 'i wouldnt want to look like a twig anyway, they look sick' and things like that, and it seems fine to say that sort of thing. It's like, surely they know what it's like to be teased, and then they do it to someone else. I used to get called stick insect and daddy long legs in PE lessons, by some chubby girls. I don't know if anyone understands what I'm saying, I can't think of a way to word it. Just, don't praise one extreme, and then slag off the other, because some thin girls are really self conscious too. I am not talking to anyone in particular, just, does anyone else find this annoying?

I agree with this. It's really silly. People do it with big boobies too - in quite a few times when I've been in a conversation about looks and things, people seem to think it's a good thing to say they think skinny people look gross, and that big boobies are too, mostly because they're things that are supposed to be attractive. Grr, silly people.

Latest

Trending

Trending