The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The whole thing :cry:

Well, I'm okay with Trigonometry, but I find most parts of the Circle and Advanced Calculus a pain in the neck. I'm literally bricking it at the moment.
Reply 2
I am feeling OK about maths, a lot better than I did about english. I got 98% in my second prelim, so hopefully have nothing to worry about! But I will still revise, maybe just do some past papers, now english is over it feels like I have nothing to revise!
Reply 3
Maths is the one I'm feeling most confident about. I got two As in both the first and second prelim.

I don't really mind the optimisation as such, although the bit before where you have to prove the formula is a bit naff.

Trig identities are a bit tricky too...

I'm sure it'll be fine though.

My teacher gave us some revision sheets for Unit 1 & 2 with questions from the Maths item bank or whatever it is. Anyone want me to upload them? Someone might find them handy!
Reply 4
Yeh upload them please:smile:
Reply 5
There's optimization in higher maths?
I don't remember this...anyone wanna link me to a syllabus/tell me what bits there are?
Reply 6
Maths Arrangements It's mentioned on page 13... but doesn't really explain it very well.

You just need to be able to differentiate a function, know that dy/dx = 0 for stationary points. Solve the derivative for 0, use a nature table to find the nature of these points and then explain which represents a maximum or minimum.
Reply 7
CallumFR
Maths Arrangements It's mentioned on page 13... but doesn't really explain it very well.

You just need to be able to differentiate a function, know that dy/dx = 0 for stationary points. Solve the derivative for 0, use a nature table to find the nature of these points and then explain which represents a maximum or minimum.

Oh, I remembered all that being in higher.
I was just confused that in the year since I've been in school they've started doing lagrangian multipliers at higher:p:
acas13
I am feeling OK about maths, a lot better than I did about english. I got 98% in my second prelim, so hopefully have nothing to worry about! But I will still revise, maybe just do some past papers, now english is over it feels like I have nothing to revise!

I'm more or less in the same boat. Got 95% and 98% respectivley for the prelims, so would be very dissapointed if I didn't get an A. I'm just so glad English is over. Will probably do one or two of the practice papers we were given, focusing on some of the more difficult questinos that require you to prove something.

I do have to do a fair bit of Chemistry to do, done pretty bad on the last multi choice I did.
Reply 10
I'm feeling okay about it actually; got 61% in my first prelim then 96% in the second (unit three) one, but mainly I'm feeling confident because we finished the course in March and have been doing revision in class since then. Also going in to do maths all day on Wednesday, so I'm keeping my hopes up Thursday goes okay.
Good luck guys
:biggrin:
Reply 11
acas13

i feel the same way! i'm having a relaxing day after yesterday.. i think i'll just do past papers for maths. Our prelims were harder than what the actual exam will be, especially the multiple choice..that's what our teacher told us anyway! They do it on purpose but i suppose it's good cause it's given me confidence that I can do just as well, maybe even better, in the actual exam:smile:
Reply 12
I find maths pretty damn hard... my teacher is definitely part of the problem; he can barely speak English! And when I say 'barely'... well, my friend and I spent WEEKS thinking nature tables were called 'Richard tables'. :p: :eek:

I got a C in the first prelim and a D in the second (didn't tell the parents about THAT one xP) but for the second prelim, only TWO people in the class got higher than a D, and the smartest girl I know got 51% so I think it's safe to say it was just a hard prelim!

I do much better in past papers though, and I'm starting to get the hang of trig so hopefully I'll be ok. I want to do medicine though so I'm hoping for an A...
CallumFR
Here you go.

Cheers for them. Do you have worked solutions for them but?
Reply 14
namedeprived
I'm more or less in the same boat. Got 95% and 98% respectivley for the prelims, so would be very dissapointed if I didn't get an A. I'm just so glad English is over. Will probably do one or two of the practice papers we were given, focusing on some of the more difficult questinos that require you to prove something.

I do have to do a fair bit of Chemistry to do, done pretty bad on the last multi choice I did.

Yeah I plan on doing quite a bit of chemistry, I am glad it is my last exam :rolleyes: apart from that not really worried about anything, biology should be fine as all the past papers are pretty much the same thing, and graphic comm is the easiest subject ever so hopefully i will do ok.
Reply 15
Ape Gone Insane
I got 60% for my prelim but there's one sort of question I don't get. It's in one of the early past papers and was in the prelim paper 2. Can't remember..its always a graph which has points that are not on any stationary points, x axis or y axis and you have to find these points and I'm always like WTF?

end points? i.e. checking your end points when doing optimisation to check there is no higher/lower value?
Reply 16
Rangersmad92
Cheers for them. Do you have worked solutions for them but?

I'm afraid I don't :frown: sorry
Reply 17
wawa1906
end points? i.e. checking your end points when doing optimisation to check there is no higher/lower value?

End points in Optimisation? I don't think you use end points in optimisation.
ahhhhh good god. I failed both prelims so I'd be extremely lucky if I even passed! :frown:
chelski786
End points in Optimisation? I don't think you use end points in optimisation.

They can do, if they feel like catching you out (and I'm fairly sure I remember encountering such a question in Higher, but can't remember where).

Consider (cutting out all the context rubbish):

Maximize f(x)=x32x+1f(x) = x^3-2x+1 in the interval [-2, 2].

Differentiate to find f(x)=3x22f'(x) = 3x^2-2, stationary points at ±23\displaystyle\pm\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}. Plug in the values and you find that x=23x = -\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} is a maximum t.p.

Except that f(2) is the greatest value in that interval.

Latest

Trending

Trending