The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I enjoy a good challenge as well, also you are not the only one who finds optimization difficult. It always seems to be the "prove the formula equals this" that catches me out, if that bit is easy then the differentiation bit is always hard. I have a few examples but I don't have any worked solutions.
Reply 141
Here are a few optimisation questions you could try. I don't find it very difficult but thats because I am good at it. Just ask me if you need help with any part of the questions. I will keep posting more questions if I find more.

Reply 142
ok thanks anyways. Think the first part is only worth about 3 marks anyway so i'll just focus on the differentiation since im better at that. Does anybody know the usual grade boundaries for maths??
Reply 143
Thanks guys

2002 paper 2 - question 10.
(number 9 i didnt know what an integer was haha)
2002 winter diet, paper1 - question 9

Just a couple of the ones i found hardest from today, i have to check through my 2005-2008 book because ive learnt how to do some stuff since i last did them :biggrin:
Reply 144
Rapidfire
Here is an optimisation question you could try. I don't find it very difficult but thats because I am good at it. Just ask me if you need help with any part of the question.

i'll have a bash at that just now! ta:smile:
claireeex
Thanks guys

2002 paper 2 - question 10.
(number 9 i didnt know what an integer was haha)
2002 winter diet, paper1 - question 9

Just a couple of the ones i found hardest from today, i have to check through my 2005-2008 book because ive learnt how to do some stuff since i last did them :biggrin:

heres my attempt 02 winter diet, paper 1 question 9

h(x) = f(f(x))

h(x) = f (3/x+1)

h(x) = 3/(3/x+1) + 1

simplify the bottom to 4+x/x+1

so 3 divided by 4+x/x+1

h(x) = 3x+3/4+x

b) x cannot be -4

dont have the answers in front of me so not sure if thats right. dont have access to 2002 paper.
Reply 146
Dado Prso
heres my attempt 02 winter diet, paper 1 question 9

h(x) = f(f(x))

h(x) = f (3/x+1)

h(x) = 3/(3/x+1) + 1

simplify the bottom to 4+x/x+1

so 3 divided by 4+x/x+1

h(x) = 3x+3/4+x

b) x cannot be -4

dont have the answers in front of me so not sure if thats right. dont have access to 2002 paper.

Just want to say be sure to put brackets to indicate adding before dividing otherwise you will lose marks in the exam.
Reply 147
Damn, I was beating to that answer. I took a more personal approach, wrote the answer on paper and took a picture of it. Here it is, if you want to see the answer on paper: http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8963/chrisf0001.jpg
how do i go about using that latex stuff that ive seen?
Reply 149
quick question, see in optimisation (e.g. the second one posted by rapidfire above) when it says "find the dimensions..." im assuming you have to put it in terms of length, breadth or whatever rather than just stating what x is?
Reply 150
Here are two more optimizations that are extremely hard, try the window one. Sorry for the bad quality:

Here is a bigger image of the window questions just incase you couldn't see the text. http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8963/chrisf0001.jpg
Reply 151
I can't read the window question but I know I can easily do the second one as I have done it before.
:O I've never seen the window question before, thanks for putting it up gonna try it now!

EDIT: I've also attached my school's Unit 3 2004-2005 Prelim. It's got some nice questions so yeah if you lack resources/materials then have a go at this.
Reply 153
I've uploaded Q10 from 2002 paper 2. Hopefully someone will benefit from it.
Reply 154
Rapidfire
I can't read the window question but I know I can easily do the second one as I have done it before.

Sorry for the bad quality, you maybe able to read the question here.
Reply 155
CallumFR
I've uploaded Q10 from 2002 paper 2. Hopefully someone will benefit from it.

Ahh that one, just use similar triangles to get the value of l and use a similar method to get b. Using these two you should be able to get the area. Then differentiate to find a maximum.
the window question for anyone struggling with the first part.

Spoiler

cracking question. where was it from?
Reply 157
It was in my second prelim in school. I think it's from an sqp for the 2000 paper. I have a worked solution as well, if anybody wants me to upload it.
Reply 158
Dj-Dark-1
Damn, I was beating to that answer. I took a more personal approach, wrote the answer on paper and took a picture of it. Here it is, if you want to see the answer on paper: http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8963/chrisf0001.jpg

Ahhhh, i wasnt sure when Dado Prso said about simplifiying what to do.

I considered multiplying..but i have a tendency to ignore my instincts.

Thanks a lot, that really helped me
For the window question I'm fine with the first part but I got a really weird answer for the second part. Could you tell me if this is wrong?

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending